88.9 mm xmax????????

More xmax = more displacement.

That number is peak to peak. And probably with the coild bottoming out and leaving the gap. Lol. Although it's impressive, there are plenty of subs with that much.

Looks to be more like Xmech, which is the maximum mechanical clearance for the soft parts to move, measured as a "peak to peak" spec. Even so, I'd bet that 3.5" is exaggerated as well.

prob a misprint 8.9mm xmax
It's rated for that in the manual //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crap.gif.7f4dd41e3e9b23fbd170a1ee6f65cecc.gif

I just don't see this happening or even being effective if the cone were to travel that far.

i have yet to see a sub with 88mm xmax dont believe there is a sub that can do this and be useful.

xmax is 1 way so ur talking 7+" of travel and linear while keeping the coil in the gap.

The magnet slugs look to be 40mm tall, 50mm tops. Top plate is at most 15mm thick (probably less). Back plate is probably not bumped... but lets give it a 5mm bump to be fair.

With a 50mm long coil and 15mm top plate you have 17.5mm of over-hang -- to the bottom of the magnets this leaves 22.5mm on the 40mm stack and 32.5mm on the 50mm stock... at tops with over-hang 27.5mm / 37.5mm one-way mechanical figures.

This geometry yields ~21mm or so linear one-way. So by no stretch of the imagination does this sub have 88.9mm of anything measurable... the surround may handle that p-p but no other part of the sub would.

---

Before posting I found this :

Earthquake Sound DBXI-15 - Page 3 - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

With a 12.7mm x-max figure that drops the coil length down to 35mm or so which would leave 10mm of over-hang and ~45mm of x-mech rearward with a slightly bumped back plate and 50mm stack. So I imagine they are listing distance from coil to back plate x 2 (peak to peak) -- but in this case the coil would have to exit the gap by nearly one inch to reach that level of travel (not happening).

Just a BS spec.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

Colossus281

10+ year member
Senior VIP Member
Colossus281
Albuquerque nm
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date