8th Gen Civic HU Issue

Participant count
  • Participant list

JRWSOUND

CarAudio.com Newbie
I have an 07' Civic with stock gear. Random issues that began a few months ago:

Passenger door speaker doesn't work
Occasional [but becoming more frequent] there is a loud pop that shuts the HU completely down (sometimes not even a display of the time). After turning the car off and restarting, everything is back to normal (the times is correct) until this happens again.
Sometimes the HU toggles itself between AUX, AM, FM, often times losing audio like in the last point. Also fixes with re-start.
A few times the radio enters into seek mode and just scrolls and scrolls (like the antenna isn't operable) until reset.

I have no other electrical issues.

The shop I went to said they would take the stock HU and amp out, send it to NYC for an overhaul but they want more money for that than I think a stock system is worth.

My question is this: if I replace the HU, run my own speaker wire (by-passing the stock amp) will my problem be solved? Is there anything else that could be causing this issue besides either the stock HU or the stock amp?

Thanks!
Newbie.

A short circuit in the wiring could cause these issues. Is the car new to you or have you owned it for it's entire life? Previous owners may have done wiring in the dash and messed with factory wiring. The control issues could be a connection issue for the steering wheel controls, or an internal failure.

I would go the aftermarket route and bypass the stock amp, easy and reliable with all of the modern features you want. Your car can accomodate a single or double din head unit easily.
Scosche HA1561

Thank you for the reply! I bought the car over 5 years ago and haven't had any issues with it until very recently. My steering wheel doesn't have any controls besides cruise. So yeah, I'm thinking after-market gear with by-passing the factory amp. Just wanted to be sure there won't the same issue once the new gear is installed. I'd be frustrated to go to the trouble/expense of the upgrade to find the issue is still present.

Thanks again!

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.