Are more expensive speakers really that much better than cheaper ones?

Actually, it will be easier, bcuz you are only installing speakers. You don’t have to find additional space for 2 crossovers.

***Start everything with sound deadening and preparing your ride for great sound. I can’t stress this enough...

Another plus with active speakers is that you will get much, much better speakers for the money you spend. We will have a ton of recommendations for great speakers, once you know what size you need, and where you are going to put them.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you just want to swap stock speakers for after market speakers then don't spend that money on top speakers unless you do the sound deadening and external amplification along the change.

If you wish to change the speakers for better after market speakers, it may provide you with a brighter sound but nothing much will be changed due to the stock car housing / lack of sound deadening :blackeye:

So its up to you to decide whether you want to just get speaker replacement, so that would mean just get Pioneer, Sony, Kenwood, components, or any entry level components

If you decide to go the whole hog and go for amplification, deadening, then it would be wise to spend money on more expensive components.  The reason for this is it will provide you;

• better crossover with different tweeter attenuation;
  • better materials / bigger voice coil / more power handling;
  • more tweeter mounting options rather than just a top mount bracket;
  • more reliability over the life of your car; (will not die on you in six months)
Usually most car speakers sound similar and you will not notice much difference, but with the more expensive gear the tweeters are more pleasant to listen to over long periods.  Personally I like the silk dome tweeters as I find the metal tweeters are more harsher at louder volumes but that is my personal experience and choice. :fro:

Determine which option suits you depending on your budget mate!  You can always upgrade over time, just plan out your project and take it from there! :cool:

I’m sorry, I haven’t read it. Check out a youtube video by Richard Vedvick, and the entire series of videos from Car Audio Fabrication. Mark is an awesome guide to all things car audio, and his videos are broken down into specific stages of the process.

If you just want to swap stock speakers for after market speakers then don't spend that money on top speakers unless you do the sound deadening and external amplification along the change.

If you wish to change the speakers for better after market speakers, it may provide you with a brighter sound but nothing much will be changed due to the stock car housing / lack of sound deadening :blackeye:

So its up to you to decide whether you want to just get speaker replacement, so that would mean just get Pioneer, Sony, Kenwood, components, or any entry level components

If you decide to go the whole hog and go for amplification, deadening, then it would be wise to spend money on more expensive components.  The reason for this is it will provide you;

• better crossover with different tweeter attenuation;
  • better materials / bigger voice coil / more power handling;
  • more tweeter mounting options rather than just a top mount bracket;
  • more reliability over the life of your car; (will not die on you in six months)
Usually most car speakers sound similar and you will not notice much difference, but with the more expensive gear the tweeters are more pleasant to listen to over long periods.  Personally I like the silk dome tweeters as I find the metal tweeters are more harsher at louder volumes but that is my personal experience and choice. :fro:

Determine which option suits you depending on your budget mate!  You can always upgrade over time, just plan out your project and take it from there! :cool:
beriylium and higher end metal domes actually are extremely smooth. Just anything under 500$ like that will tend to sound nasty.  most of the times, a head unit swap with stock speakers will sound a thousand times better than a speaker swap with no head unit swap.  

Actually most people stop at that stage from all the installs I've done. It literally fulfills everything the person wanted out of their setup.   While the speaker swap guys fall into a giant never ending money pit remaining unsatisfied.

4 channel amp, dedicated wiring to the mid and tweeter and the deck, reset deck to factory default, choose network mode thats it.  Go to crossovers and play with the crossover points and slope till it sounds really smooth and clean. Then do time alignment and EQ viola magic.
Have Pioneer DEH-S6120BS deck installed and a 8604 amp I can put back in. So you set the amp xover  to OFF and just use the deck HPF. So which channels on the amp connect to which tweeter and mid?

Have Pioneer DEH-S6120BS deck installed and a 8604 amp I can put back in. So you set the amp xover  to OFF and just use the deck HPF. So which channels on the amp connect to which tweeter and mid?
it doesnt matter what channels, you can always swap the RCAs till you hit the right channels on the head unit's active mode.   you can have the tweeter high pass on at the amp just for 2ndary protection measures (wont do anything to the sound)  and the mid  high pass off, on the rare chance that your mid plays too much sub-bass that even a -24 db slope cant fix you can use the amp crossover to add another 12 dbs worth of slopes to filter out even more bass frequencies from the mid.

Its very simple to do.

beriylium and higher end metal domes actually are extremely smooth. Just anything under 500$ like that will tend to sound nasty.  most of the times, a head unit swap with stock speakers will sound a thousand times better than a speaker swap with no head unit swap.  

Actually most people stop at that stage from all the installs I've done. It literally fulfills everything the person wanted out of their setup.   While the speaker swap guys fall into a giant never ending money pit remaining unsatisfied.
Oh, yes, agree, I remember the old Boston Acoustics Pro 6.5's with titanium tweeters, they sounded pretty good that I had,  Agree most aftermarket head units will make even stock speakers sound much detailed.  Unfortunately, with todays vehicles with integrated head units, its become a challenge to attempt for the DIYers so best left to the experts.

Thanks for your valuable input Jeffdachef!  You sound like a very knowledgeable person in car audio, must be around a while in the field mate! :graduate:

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.