Car jolts, Hu shuts off, amp wont turn back on

DarkKnightSM

Senior VIP Member
So my civic, has done this twice. Where it will jolt forward while accelerating, as if i had popped the clutch, although i dont do that, and the Hu restarts itself, and my sub ceases to work. No heat detected from the voice coil nor the amp. After the HU turns back on the front stage continues playing without the sub. The green light on both the amp for the sub and the front stage are green. No issues there. All grounds are checked and good. Lead wires good, tight and secure.

Im wondering if this is a mechanical problem with my transmission that causes it to lock up for a split second, just enough for the car to stall. although it happens so quickly indont even have time to look at the rpms, so who knows. The transmission does have an issue where it slips out of reverse. So every time i back up, i go through this charade of putting it in reverse, grinds, go back in, nothing, then eventually it engages. I mention this only because i beleive 1st is linked to reverse, or i might be thinking of 5th. I cant remeber, not good with transmissions, regardless the both times this happened was halfway through accelerating through first.

The first time this happened, i went into work, so it sat for hours, came back out and everything was find. This second time, well i havnt even looked at it as im scared im gonna find something i dont like.

Also before you asked, i replaced clutch, all engine tranny mounts, and checked shift linkage. The reverse issue is from inside the tranny. So kinda scared to go look at this car, what do you guys think. Can any sort of electrical issues or heavy load cause a car to do this?

Edit--------

I will add, that with the mechman alt i installed, i left the belt just loose enough to where it doesnt squeel. As it should be, however as the belt break in, within a week or so they stretch just a tad. Therefor must be adjusted, tightened to where it doesnt squeel, i have no done thhis yet so it squeels on start up. I doubt this could cause an issue while driving but i dont know it all so who knows, better too much info then not enough

belt maybe part of problem,, sounds like u put to much $ in car audio (i know no such thing here) when u shoulda got new car 1st huh..
Haha! Yeah i spent 1700 on the civic woth 220k but i love it. I will rebuild this car 5 times over before i get another car. I put 1000 into other things such as suspension. But will wait until this engine and tranny blow on me to replace em

Haha! Yeah i spent 1700 on the civic woth 220k but i love it. I will rebuild this car 5 times over before i get another car. I put 1000 into other things such as suspension. But will wait until this engine and tranny blow on me to replace em
guy at stereo shop i worked at bought 82 civic $300 15 yrs ago, came in with his tax check $4400 said he wanted a stereo guess how much it cost?, come on anyone guess.., he got 2 nice high current aria amps + 4 channel and 6 10's 2 comp sets in doors and a coax set right behind each head rest (built into sub box) it was pretty loud took it to couple comps 4 months later motor blew it sat in our shop for 3 months we used to hook it to battery charger to demo stereo for customers shook stuff off walls for real.. ended up taking everthing out he just had to sell at used price and of course like $1500 of that was labor so he may have got $1200-$1500 back idk..

guy at stereo shop i worked at bought 82 civic $300 15 yrs ago, came in with his tax check $4400 said he wanted a stereo guess how much it cost?, come on anyone guess.., he got 2 nice high current aria amps + 4 channel and 6 10's 2 comp sets in doors and a coax set right behind each head rest (built into sub box) it was pretty loud took it to couple comps 4 months later motor blew it sat in our shop for 3 months we used to hook it to battery charger to demo stereo for customers shook stuff off walls for real.. ended up taking everthing out he just had to sell at used price and of course like $1500 of that was labor so he may have got $1200-$1500 back idk..
I really do wish more car stereo stores did this. But na, always gotta have em in those ****** glass rooms

used my altima as sound room really we had nice one to should speakers and hu's but to actually hear a system i'd just take them to my car and say, those subs with that amp u looking t be 3-6db louder than this and they'd be all over it.. had some cool reactions to our systems up there, this very very gay black guy had a beat up ford probe i think and sold him our $1k system which was jvc hu, 4 memphis speakers, 4 channel memphis power bass (only like 300rms total) with 1 12 (or 1-10 usually in trucks, wife had that in her s10 was pretty good not loud just good) so he had 1 12 sealed with like 150rms at best i turned that thing on and he actually started jumping up and down it was funny... those small systems with 2 memphis 10's in mustang hatch back were quite loud for having practically no power

used my altima as sound room really we had nice one to should speakers and hu's but to actually hear a system i'd just take them to my car and say, those subs with that amp u looking t be 3-6db louder than this and they'd be all over it.. had some cool reactions to our systems up there, this very very gay black guy had a beat up ford probe i think and sold him our $1k system which was jvc hu, 4 memphis speakers, 4 channel memphis power bass (only like 300rms total) with 1 12 (or 1-10 usually in trucks, wife had that in her s10 was pretty good not loud just good) so he had 1 12 sealed with like 150rms at best i turned that thing on and he actually started jumping up and down it was funny... those small systems with 2 memphis 10's in mustang hatch back were quite loud for having practically no power
Howed you like being a salemen, ive considered it for when i get out of the service, that or truck driver. I have a few people that can get me into cement truck driving, but to my surprize im good with people and with my newfound hobby to get to spend all day helping people and getting them a cool system kinda appeals to me. Might give it a go if the pay is good.

Sell it. get another if it's a money pit for ya.
No way! Car audio is the irrational money pit. Keeping the civic makes sense for practicality, and sentimental, kinda. Like coupes, the interior design, exterior, simplicity. It doesnt take much to maintain it. Sometimes i just over burdom myself with projects. Gotta fix the house, replace fork seals on dirtbike, carb work, etc, replace rear tire on r6 and sell my wrx. I get overwhelmed and dont wanna touch anything, ill get over it when work stops being so hectic. I mostly just posted to vent. Power of deduction says alt belt first but im so f ucking lazy about it right now

No way! Car audio is the irrational money pit. Keeping the civic makes sense for practicality, and sentimental, kinda. Like coupes, the interior design, exterior, simplicity. It doesnt take much to maintain it. Sometimes i just over burdom myself with projects. Gotta fix the house, replace fork seals on dirtbike, carb work, etc, replace rear tire on r6 and sell my wrx. I get overwhelmed and dont wanna touch anything, ill get over it when work stops being so hectic. I mostly just posted to vent. Power of deduction says alt belt first but im so f ucking lazy about it right now
I'm pretty much in the same boat you are. Between the Jetta I'm gradually getting it to a normal car, haven't even started my own projects yet installing speakers/s10 stereo install....I gotta honey do list from the old lady for the back bathroom and main bathroom. Plus doing landscaping in my front yard trying to get that done and completed this year. Mark that off the list. I gotta get gravel for that project.

I doubt any stereo is going to cause a mechanical issue. That being said and have a grinding issue I would drop your tranny pan. You are probably missing a tooth or gears are ground down/out of serviceable range. If the trans misses a few teeth it will definitely feel like a quick rev and clutch dump as it spins freely for a quick second and catches..... Why does that affect your stereo? My daughters car needed engine/tranny mounts. Every time she would accelerate hard she would blow the fuel pump fuse because of the strain of the electrical wires being pulled furrher than they were ever intended and losing continuity. Engine mounts and new grounds solved her issue. You have a bad connection being exacerbated by a mechanical issue.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.