Dayton Ultimax 12" vs. IDQ12 V.4 2Ohm

Hello!

I am about to order my subwoofer that will go in my 94 Bronco. I have plenty of space for a nice enclosure that's no problem. But I am currently looking at whether I should pick up the Dayton Ultimax 12" 2ohm and ohm it down to 1Ohm or do the same with the IDQ12 V.4.

I know the dayton Ultimax is rated for 600W RMS and IDQ12 is rated for 750 but honestly, I listen to metal so both are kind of overkill. I like clarity and depth.

Please let me know what you think!

BND

I have the IDQ's and love them. I am not familiar with the Dayton Ultimax though. Seems like they aren't near as popular for car audio like the Reference HO's.

I have the IDQ's and love them. I am not familiar with the Dayton Ultimax though. Seems like they aren't near as popular for car audio like the Reference HO's.
How are they on clarity and kick? That's what I'm mostly looking for. I also already got the 7" midbass so I'm really looking to go in the low frequency zone with the subwoofer.

Hello!
I am about to order my subwoofer that will go in my 94 Bronco. I have plenty of space for a nice enclosure that's no problem. But I am currently looking at whether I should pick up the Dayton Ultimax 12" 2ohm and ohm it down to 1Ohm or do the same with the IDQ12 V.4.

I know the dayton Ultimax is rated for 600W RMS and IDQ12 is rated for 750 but honestly, I listen to metal so both are kind of overkill. I like clarity and depth.

Please let me know what you think!

BND
the ultimaxes seem to get high praise from whose who have them, but they are indeed mostly used in home audio subwoofer enclosures. however, its like losisatool said, its a subwoofer, so itll do what the power sent to it and the box its in will tell it to do. it looks like a tank too!! It actually reminds me of the tympany peerless 15. Very similar in looks

Due to the ultimaxes being untested largely in car audio applications, and the exact opposite being true for the IDQs, id say go with the tried and tested image dynamics. They have been awesome sounding subs since forever and doesn’t sound like that has changed with the new ownership of the brand

Hello!.....I know the dayton Ultimax is rated for 600W RMS and IDQ12 is rated for 750 but honestly, I listen to metal so both are kind of overkill.....

BND
Don't you ever say that again!!!! lol

Honestly, I was running two 12's with a 1000w Alpine and I kind of miss it. If the mids and highs aren't powered enough they can be overpowered by the bass but if you do it right... Oh man. Pantera, Slayer, Witchery, Opeth, Cannibal Corpse... Double kick is so powerful and fun to listen to if the box isn't boomy. As people on here will tell you, that 600 - 750w RMS won't be going to the sub constantly as music is not a constant sign wave so don't let that number scare you.

Don't you ever say that again!!!! lol
Honestly, I was running two 12's with a 1000w Alpine and I kind of miss it. If the mids and highs aren't powered enough they can be overpowered by the bass but if you do it right... Oh man. Pantera, Slayer, Witchery, Opeth, Cannibal Corpse... Double kick is so powerful and fun to listen to if the box isn't boomy. As people on here will tell you, that 600 - 750w RMS won't be going to the sub constantly as music is not a constant sign wave so don't let that number scare you.
Pantera, Slayer, Cannibal corpse... dude, you just named my 3 favorite bands. Pantera being my absolute favorite (sad to hear about Vinnie). But his amazing double bass work will continue on in my subwoofer! Thanks for the help!

Also, just to confirm, the IDQ12 V.4 D2 will give me the chance to wire it in eithet 1Ohm or 4ohm configurations right? I ofcourse want 1 Ohm, but just double checking before I drop $229 for it. Thanks y'all!

Also, just to confirm, the IDQ12 V.4 D2 will give me the chance to wire it in eithet 1Ohm or 4ohm configurations right? I ofcourse want 1 Ohm, but just double checking before I drop $229 for it. Thanks y'all!
yep d2 = 1 ohm or 4

Easy answer. Any subwoofer set up to do it.
come on, some are definitely more musical than others. a peerless tympany will sound better than a sundown u series if the same care is given to building the correct box for both and you know it. there is a reason you chose the image dynamics over say an equally priced rockford

come on, some are definitely more musical than others. a peerless tympany will sound better than a sundown u series if the same care is given to building the correct box for both and you know it. there is a reason you chose the image dynamics over say an equally priced rockford
I hate Rockford as a company.

But no. At 100db with the same tune you couldn’t pick them apart.

Are you set on those two choices, or are you open to suggestions? What amp will you be using, how much are you wanting to spend, and do you already have a box or will you be building to suit the sub?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.