Dr. Stereo, Scarborough

Nightskye
10+ year member

If you live in Maine, you have very few choices for locals.

Dr. Stereo, like almost everywhere else in Maine, carries mostly mainstream brands for equipment (Pioneer, Kenwood, Directed here) but if you live in southern Maine, they'll have what you need for wire and connectors, pretty much the entire Stinger line of connectors from what I could see, and wire down to 1/0 gauge. I was impressed because they were the only shop within 50 miles of me that carried fuse blocks that accomodated 1/0 gauge wire and ANL fuses up to 300 amps.

I don't know about their install quality, but they know what the Big 3 is, so they must know more than a few things! I was buying a couple 300 amp fuses one day and another customer was curious to know what the hell I needed that big a fuse for. When I told him I was doing a Big 3 upgrade under the hood with 1/0 gauge wire, he looked surprised and the sales guy/installer told him "He's doing it right the first time." They were still talking about it when I left //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

sounds good, I live up here in central Maine and we have two shops, the only one I go to is Creative Sounds, and that is because they treat me good. My father has also dumped tens of thousands of dollars into their home audio stuff, so yeah, they know me //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

nice to see a customer being happy with a local shop for once.

wow, around this time last year i was in Maine, went on a trip to New England with my grandmother. we were going through scarborough and i asked to stop at Dr. Stereo. Didn't look like to bad of a place. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

al

nothing better then a shop that actually carries Connectors, wire, distribution blocks, inline fuses... basically a good instock supply of installation accessories.

My experience with the DR was terrible. I was told in advance from a former employee that the work was great and relatively affordable but the adam was an *******. They quoted me 350 for a 6 speaker setup (Kappa 60.5components and kappa 693.7's) along with my reference 475a amp in the trunk. Cosmetically the install looked good. But it better, i was quoted 350, magically that number turned into 630... they didnt need wires or anything. He had 2 people on it for a full 9 hours or something? were the 2 people monkeys? not only did he overcharge me **** near double what i was quoted at after bringing it in and him looking at it. They DIDNT DO IT RIGHT, Put a bad ground or something causing fierce feedback and winding. I called them immediately and they said theyll look at it free of charge in a month. January of 08 comes around and they look at it, say they fix it but charge $70, they didnt fix anything they turned inputs/gains all the way down making the feedback more faint, so basically the turned a few knobs and charged 70 bucks for that, making my total $700 2ce what it should be, it still frustrates me to this day. I for one would highly recommend not going there for service, and in all honesty I would make the trip to nashua. Cant remember the name of the shop but its rated as a top 100 installer in the nation from car audio mag, you could find the list online

How come you did mention the stuff you brought to us was used from e-bay with a amp coverplate that was put on backwards. The speakers were much larger than the factory openings and were not at all designed for the vehicle. I am not sure if you know this but Saab Vehicles can be very hard to integrate into. We were handed a bunch of mismatched equipment. None of the equipment just dropped in. Custom adapters had to be made. I know because I did the install on this car. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/mad.gif.c18f003ab0ef8a0d9c27ca78d77a6392.gif

eek, i live up in the augusta area and we have good and bad but i have heard more good than bad about the doc in the scar

btw DOC, if you wised up you would put a show on this year //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif it would be fun.... c'monnnnnnnnnnn put on a show for us Mainah'z lol

How come you did mention the stuff you brought to us was used from e-bay with a amp coverplate that was put on backwards. The speakers were much larger than the factory openings and were not at all designed for the vehicle. I am not sure if you know this but Saab Vehicles can be very hard to integrate into. We were handed a bunch of mismatched equipment. None of the equipment just dropped in. Custom adapters had to be made. I know because I did the install on this car. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/mad.gif.c18f003ab0ef8a0d9c27ca78d77a6392.gif
//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/laugh.gif.48439b2acf2cfca21620f01e7f77d1e4.gif funny i remember you saying you had 2 of your guys on it all day.

the only "customizing" was cutting a hole for the magnets of my 6x9 through a cheap piece of plastic. Otherwise... perfect fit.

We covered this all in the PM's so I'm not going to get into this again. But to charge more than double, without any legit reasoning (mismatched my ass). Not do it right, tell me to bring it back and youll look at it for free, charge $60, tell me you fixed it... not have fixed anything other than turning down the gains (all the way) so the feedback was less audible and speakers as well. Come to find out it was a shitty RCA from your shop. But instead you tell me you had a guy on it for hours and he fixed it... well no he didnt, I recognized the reason months later myself.

your communication and stories/recall dont match up you greasy terd

//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/laugh.gif.48439b2acf2cfca21620f01e7f77d1e4.gif funny i remember you saying you had 2 of your guys on it all day.
the only "customizing" was cutting a hole for the magnets of my 6x9 through a cheap piece of plastic. Otherwise... perfect fit.

We covered this all in the PM's so I'm not going to get into this again. But to charge more than double, without any legit reasoning (mismatched my ass). Not do it right, tell me to bring it back and youll look at it for free, charge $60, tell me you fixed it... not have fixed anything other than turning down the gains (all the way) so the feedback was less audible and speakers as well. Come to find out it was a shitty RCA from your shop. But instead you tell me you had a guy on it for hours and he fixed it... well no he didnt, I recognized the reason months later myself.

your communication and stories/recall dont match up you greasy terd

i side with you. plus they should have been able to show you the problem not just turn down the gains. sounds like the Dr *****.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...