Got 4" in the rear, but I'm told I can use 6.5's, how?

Participant count
  • Participant list

Mikey T

CarAudio.com Recruit
I've got a 2001 Toyota 4runner. It's got 4" in the rear. I'm going to due a full overhaul including a sub. I've been looking online at Sonic, Crutchfield, Woofers etc, and even some manufacturer websites and they all call for a 6.5 in the rear. I've looked at speaker adapters.com, metra, and scoche, and they only have 5.25" adapters so this is confusing to me. I'd like to have 6.5's back there just not sure it they will fit or what adapter I need to buy to make this happen. I know I will have to trim the inside of the door panel since there is a ring there which is fine. Also, measuring the speaker grate portion of the door panel it too is only for a 4". So I guess I will lose out on fidelity or how it sounds due to this if I go with something larger in size because the speaker will be bigger than the grate?

Make our own wood rings, beefier mounting will be be better anyway. You’ll have to cut the door cavity  opening to accommodate the larger inner diameter. Then use screws, closed cell foam and dynamat to make it tight.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

Mikey T

CarAudio.com Recruit
Mikey T
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date
Last reply from
Mikey T