JLJunkie's Retarded Budget Build

I wish I wouldn’t of only got 1 of the 12s when they were $14. But I’ve got 4 of the 8s to play with eventually
yep thats what i was thinking but wanted to see how they did 1st and sell was over.. i wish i had bought 2 in case i ever see good box pop up fs for like $80.. oh well if i ever see a box i'll just get 2 fu 300's but my 750 doing great, will always wonder about more cone area (like he has) vs 1 bigger motor

Just ordered the black carpet to finish the box. I hate using screws on enclosures but I didn't have big enough clamps for this one. Seeing those screw holes and shiny screwheads is putting my OCD into overdrive so I can't wait to get this thing covered. Also, going to use my 3D printer to make some kick@$$ badges for the front of the box.

My one gripe about the amp (APMI-2000) is that the external fuse they sent is a piece of $h!t. The manual recommends running 0 to 2 gauge wire for this amp, makes sense for the amount of current it pulls. However, the fuse they send with the amp is only big enough to accept 4 gauge wire. Shame on me for not double checking this before getting balls deep into the install. I reached out to Install Gear yesterday afternoon and ordered a 150A 0 gauge fuse/holder. Didn't expect it until Tuesday but it showed up at my door this morning around 10AM woohoo! I can get this finished up. Anyways, here are some pics just because it's a rainy Saturday morning and I am bored

Specs from the manual

20180609_121225_zps6t3bxcwg.jpg

"New" fuse I got today on the top, audiopipe on the bottom (came with the amp)

20180609_121440_zpscgnshej9.jpg

Why would you send a 4 gauge fuse with this amp? I'd hate to think that most people are running 4 gauge wire with this amp

20180609_1212010_zpswjvhmwhw.jpg

If you have enough electrical, you could try .5 ohms

---------- Post added at 02:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:29 PM ----------

be careful though. idk how those AP amps will do at .5

---------- Post added at 02:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:29 PM ----------

They don't like it from what I've heard lol if he has crazy rise (probably will in a t-line right?) it might be alright though

Watch those fuse holders OP, they should be fine but I've had one melt on me due to heat buildup. Just once a week or so check it and make sure it's still a clean tight connection

There's a link floating around for some super cheap marine grade fuse holders for like $5-10 a piece and they have some really nice covers as well. Definitely consider it as you tidy up the build.

I'm impressed with your skills though and actual ability to listen to people who give you good advice. Way too many people come on here asking for advice without actually listening to it

Edit: here we go, mmm glass fiber reinforced nylon goodness. that's the stuff

https://www.vtewarehouse.com/content/electromech/fuse/html/anl/anlfuse.php

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm impressed with your skills though and actual ability to listen to people who give you good advice. Way too many people come on here asking for advice and not actually listening to it
I am more a lurker than poster, but I agree 100% with that statement.

I'm scared to run this thing at 1ohm right now lol (don't have the configuration for it anyways). In bigblank's amp dyno, this thing pulled 250A @ 1ohm. I am not sure this thing can handle a .5ohm load, and if it did, it would probably draw an ungodly amount of current. I've got a 300A alternator on the way. I want to run dual alts but finding a dual alt bracket for my truck/engine is proving to be a bit of a b*tch. I am not comfortable enough with my fabbing skill to make my own.

They don't like it from what I've heard lol if he has crazy rise (probably will in a t-line right?) it might be alright though

Watch those fuse holders OP, they should be fine but I've had one melt on me due to heat buildup. Just once a week or so check it and make sure it's still a clean tight connection

There's a link floating around for some super cheap marine grade fuse holders for like $5-10 a piece and they have some really nice covers as well. Definitely consider it as you tidy up the build.

I'm impressed with your skills though and actual ability to listen to people who give you good advice. Way too many people come on here asking for advice without actually listening to it

Edit: here we go, mmm glass fiber reinforced nylon goodness. that's the stuff

https://www.vtewarehouse.com/content/electromech/fuse/html/anl/anlfuse.php
Good looking out on the fuse. I've got one on order, $5 is very cheap insurance to make sure you don't burn your sh*t to the ground. Also, thank you for the positive words. Trust me, I wasn't always open to advice. I can thank the Army for changing that, I quickly learned that I didn't always know WTF I was talking about and that not listening can be PAINFUL lol. Hell, 10 years ago when I was on this forum, I started a thread that turned into a 30+ page flame on me simply because I was too thick skulled to admit I was an idiot. I re-read that thread a few days ago and daaaaamn is it embarrasing (please don't get digging up skeletons lol).

Op did you make it to Slamology?
Man, I didn't end up making it down there. I spent too much time (and money) trying to get this system together and wasn't able to pull it together before Slamology. I for sure won't be missing it next year. Any other shows coming up that ya'll will be attending?

Yeah, the 18 gauge wire is ghetto as sh*t, it' was a bandaid so I could hear this thing. I've got 8 gauge wire sitting here now (received monday), but I realized when installing everything last Friday that I forgot to order the wire and all I had was 18 gauge from a home stereo build that I did. I'll get some better vids when everything is buttoned up. I have to pull it all out on Saturday because we have a road trip on sunday. While everything is out, I will carpet the box and install the better wire (in a much neater manner as well). I realize 8 gauge is overkill but I need it for the HDS3 build that I'm doing next. Also, the HO alt got here today so I'll be installing that as soon as I have time.

What songs are you guys using these days? I'm still rocking the crap I had from 9 years ago lol

Gucci Mane Coca Cola and White Girl Remix are my goto's for music demos. Using the same song gives you consistent results when comparing different setups.
I prefer dubstep for the quality. Like there's good rap songs, but nothing compares to 320 bit dubstep

The beats in the rap songs today are absolute shit. I recently went a road trip with a friend and we listened to Sirius XM Hip Hop Nation and all the modern songs sounded clipped and flat and distorted and just awful. Then again the generation that likes that shit eats Tide pods.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.