JLJunkie's Retarded Budget Build

The beats in the rap songs today are absolute shit. I recently went a road trip with a friend and we listened to Sirius XM Hip Hop Nation and all the modern songs sounded clipped and flat and distorted and just awful. Then again the generation that likes that shit eats Tide pods.
Totally agree, must not be made for actual low end drivers. It's all mushed together or something.

---------- Post added at 07:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:35 PM ----------

Yeah, the 18 gauge wire is ghetto as sh*t, it' was a bandaid so I could hear this thing. I've got 8 gauge wire sitting here now (received monday), but I realized when installing everything last Friday that I forgot to order the wire and all I had was 18 gauge from a home stereo build that I did. I'll get some better vids when everything is buttoned up. I have to pull it all out on Saturday because we have a road trip on sunday. While everything is out, I will carpet the box and install the better wire (in a much neater manner as well). I realize 8 gauge is overkill but I need it for the HDS3 build that I'm doing next. Also, the HO alt got here today so I'll be installing that as soon as I have time.
What songs are you guys using these days? I'm still rocking the crap I had from 9 years ago lol
Lots of EDM.

Lots and lots of EDM or trap remixes. Then some metal/rock. That's about it lol

Progress update...... I ripped everything out since everything seems to work quite well. Carpeted the box and updating my speaker wire (8 gauge now instead of 18). I'm also building an amp rack so this thing isn't just bolted to the floor. I think this box needs a logo, way too much open real estate on the front of this thing.

20180616_160153_zpsisqpbhoj.jpg

20180616_160128_zpsu6caxaxg.jpg

Lol, I noticed that too. The carpet makes the box look way bigger. I am going to rip the carpet off the baffle and paint it. The spaces between the subs are so thin that the carpet doesn't want to stick (even with a metric f u c k ton of adhesive). It's going to be fun scraping this adhesive off to prep for paint haha

Here's the temporary "amp rack". The carpet I got is almost an exact match to the stock carpet (pardon the dirt and dog hair, haven't cleaned since I started the build). Eventually, I'll design a fancier one on autocad and make it with my 3d printer. One thing I like about this mounting location is that the rear AC vent blows right over the amp. Also, this is the first time I used input adapters and I am very pleased.

20180616_182205_zpsaj1ravfz.jpg

20180616_182156_zps2tgebki6.jpg

20180616_182146_zps42nh0mk9.jpg

20180616_182306_zpshn42rmou.jpg

anyone else that ordered these 8's have delay shipping issues? They were suppose to arrive at the store on Wednesday for pickup but the shipping only has the manifest and nothing else.

omg it's like u cheating with the ac vent man lol.. wish i had one close by but for the most part i try not to even use ac., save the volts for the amp lol..

anyone else that ordered these 8's have delay shipping issues? They were suppose to arrive at the store on Wednesday for pickup but the shipping only has the manifest and nothing else.
I didn't order these 8's, but I did order some subs via WM that shipped out of LA. Took 3 days between printing of the label to being picked up via ups. Sounds like yours is way late though if they were supposed to be available Wednesday.

I didn't order these 8's, but I did order some subs via WM that shipped out of LA. Took 3 days between printing of the label to being picked up via ups. Sounds like yours is way late though if they were supposed to be available Wednesday.
Yeah I was hoping to install them this weekend lol

Everything is back in the truck. I sealed up a few spots on the box that had some air leaks, also upgraded to 10 gauge speaker wire (couldn't use the 8 gauge, the terminals were too small). I swear it sounds louder than it did before I ripped everything out. Still have a dang ratchet strap holding it in, just need to get some angle iron so I can fab up some brackets. Now I just need to find a meter so I can see what this thing is hitting. I swear, nobody in West Michigan has a friggin' Term Lab (Spooney, any idea where I can get this metered?).

For a bonus, check out what happens when you hook up one of these Blaupunkt 8's to a wall outlet lol

20180621_201802_zpspnacbegj.jpg

20180621_201726_zpsjx4gcvf5.jpg

I’m sure someone around here has got to have a meter but I don’t personally know of anyone. I might get one once I start my build but that’s a while out yet

Alright guys, in true retarded budget fashion, the audiopipe amp has been swapped out for a cheap @$$ maxxsonics piece of crap. Picked up this beautiful Crunch GPV1100.2 on ebay last week for $42.46
(brand spankin new, it was on sale).

The whole purpose of this... I am competing in the $150 SPL Challenge (facebook group). So we've got the amp @ $42.46, 8 subs - $13.13 x 8 = $105.40, for a grand total of $147.50.

I tested the amp this afternoon and honestly... it's not half bad for what it is. I was worried that running it at 2ohms bridged would throw it into protect but it took it like a champ. I had it running full tilt for 10-15 minutes, it got hot but kept on beating those subs. This was even being half @$$ installed with speaker wire for power and a jumper cable for a ground lmao. I just need to get a 0 gauge to 8 gauge reducer and this bad boy will be ready to pound. 160db+ here I come! In all seriousness, who wants to take bets on the actual db that this hits? To the ear, I am thinking high 130's if I am lucky haha

20180706_162659_zpsvxg5j6sx.jpg

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.