KDC-X794 removing faceplate issue

dock33

Az
Hello

I'm planning on getting the x794 and I've been reading about a trouble when you remove the faceplate and start the car without it, the thing is that apparently the usb or cd source doesn' t work.

I've been wondering about that issue. Hope someone can tell me any experiencies with the x794. Thanks

Ehh? I don't have that problem? Mine works perfectly fine..I own the X693 (last year's model) and the X794; which both are great units. However, the only thing I don't like is that I can slightly wiggle the X794's faceplate where as my old 9887 would not budge to the touch.

Oh cool, that issue kept me worried since I am planning on getting the x794. Do you usually keep the faceplate on?

Another thing, I've never had an aftermaket stereo and dunno how does the usb pen drives work with it. Do I just drag and drop the songs on the pen drive and arrange them in folders? Is it that easy?

Thanks for the reply //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

i just bought the x794 2 days ago. since then i have to reset the hu everytime i want the usb or cd drive to work after removing the faceplate. i called kenwood and they said the cd or ipod/flashdrive has to be removed anytime the faceplate is removed. i told them i never had to do that with any other kenwood and they said and i quote "well this one is different" in any case i am going to test it out for a week (removing the ipod/cd) and see if it fixes the problem. if it does i guess its just a slight annoyance i have to deal with. if it keeps doing it however, time to send it in for a replacement. hope that helps, cheers

so your saying that if you put the faceplate back on before you start the car, then start it you have this issue?

Thats what I've read to be a fix

Oh cool, that issue kept me worried since I am planning on getting the x794. Do you usually keep the faceplate on?
Another thing, I've never had an aftermaket stereo and dunno how does the usb pen drives work with it. Do I just drag and drop the songs on the pen drive and arrange them in folders? Is it that easy?

Thanks for the reply //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif
Yup it works just like that. Only one problem, its really slow scrolling when set up like this. If you use the program that comes with the unit to make playlists then its quite fast. Yet another problem, the program is very minimal. There is an user made add-on on the net that makes it much more dynamic. Just have to google for it.

One last thing, It has a total 255 folder limit. Im not sure if you can get by it by making playlists though.

so your saying that if you put the faceplate back on before you start the car, then start it you have this issue?
Thats what I've read to be a fix

lets say we are listening to a cd. then we take off our faceplate and turn off the car. go to bed. wake up the next day, go out, turn on the car, then put the faceplate on, (or put the faceplate on then turn on the car, doesnt matter either way) then the cd will not play. it will just keep saying "reading" so to fix this you have to remove the faceplate and reset all the settings on the x794. so i called and asked kenwood, they said to remove the cd every single time u remove the faceplate and you wont have that problem, so i am going to test it out over the next week

small side note i forgot, when it keeps saying "reading" you can remove the cd, then put it back in, and it will STILL keep saying "reading" same goes for usb attached drives such as flash or ipods.

just making sure you have tried it by replacing the faceplate 1st then starting the car
in my situation, i have tried that 10 times and it doesnt work. like i said, kenwood said it doesnt matter when you attach the faceplate itself as long as there is no cd or ipod/flashdrive inserted or connected BEFORE you put the faceplate on, so basically you put faceplate on, let it load up, then press the faceplate fold down button, put the cd in it and wa-la. then at the end, remove the cd before turning off your car and removing your faceplate again. pretty annoying and sh!tty if you ask me

in my situation, i have tried that 10 times and it doesnt work. like i said, kenwood said it doesnt matter when you attach the faceplate itself as long as there is no cd or ipod/flashdrive inserted or connected BEFORE you put the faceplate on, so basically you put faceplate on, let it load up, then press the faceplate fold down button, put the cd in it and wa-la. then at the end, remove the cd before turning off your car and removing your faceplate again. pretty annoying and sh!tty if you ask me

Ohh that really *****, I've seen cheaper stereos that doesn't have any issues when you remove the faceplate, neither that you have to unplug the mp3 device every time you turn the stereo off. That just sounds like too much hazzle for me.

Thanks everyone for the info. Im thinking on getting the alpine cda-105 instead //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

I hate to bump a 2 month old thread, but did anybody ever come to a resolution on this? I've been having the same problem with my HU, but the strange thing is a big span of time where it did it once, then not for months. But lately its done it twice in the last couple weeks. I have just been leaving the flash drive in the USB and sticking the face plate on once my vehicle is started (since if I put it on before, the HU seems to get confused really easy during engine cranking and tends to induce this problem). All summer its been fine, every now and again it will hang up, but if I disconnect and re-connect the USB or turn the unit off and back on it would normally take care of itself. Not so much lately, its getting to be quite a pain with all the crossover settings and what not I have to go back in and redo.

Just trying to see if anybody found a sure-fire solution, or if its time to start shopping for a new HU. I really like this unit a lot, Its been great all summer, but it does seem to have a few small quirks. It really wouldn't bother me if I have to unplug my flash drive every time I leave my Jeep, the USB port is permanently mounted and I can just toss the drive in the cup holder.

Any help is appreciated, thanks.

Hm, since my last post I had been pulling the USB drive before pulling the face plate or cutting radio power as per suggested earlier in this thread. Well I thought I'd let everybody know that last night I put the face plate on, started my Jeep and once the radio came on I plugged my USB drive in and the radio did nothing. I then manually changed it to "USB" just to get the indefinite "Reading..." message.

So it seems there is no simple cure for this, as much of a pain in the arse it was to constantly pull my USB stick anyway.

Time to get on the horn with Kenwood. FWIW, when its not doing this, the HU works fine.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.