Looking for speaker choice advice

Bojangles

CarAudio.com Newbie
Hey everyone, I've been following this site for a few months  now, but this is my first post.  I am a real novice with car audio, meaning I can install an amp and speakers but don't know anything about how they work beyond that really..

I have only installed a system in my vehicle one time.  Nothing crazy, but I had infinity kappa 60.9cs in the front doors, and infinity kappa 6x9's in the rear.  I ran them off of a Infinity kappa Four amplifier.  It does 125watt rms x 4 channels.  To me, it sounded amazing at the time coming from only stock set ups before that time

Well that was 5 years ago, and I just sold the car. I removed the 60.9cs components and the amplifier from the vehicle prior to selling.  I have a cargo van now and I am wanting to install a better sounding system in my van.  

The kappas were nice but the tweeters we're kinda harsh for my liking and to be honest I'm just bored with the sound of the speakers.  I'm gonna keep the amplifier to use for my van since it still works flawlessly,. But I want new component speakers for my van.  I will only have speakers in the front doors of my van since the back cargo area is used for hauling work tools and there is a divider between the front seats and the cargo area.  

I was thinking about buying a new set of infinity kappas the 60.11cs since they are $129 on eBay.  Seems like a good deal and looks like they changed the tweeter so it's smaller and less harsh.  The most important thing to me is fidelity.   I want the best fidelity speakers I can afford.  My budget is $250 max for speakers, and preferably$150-$200 range if possible.  I know it's not much to work with but was hoping some of you could help get me in the right direction.  I checked out silver flute component sets on third website and they have a couple sets in that price range, but I know nothing about them other than seeing people talk about them on this forum.   Also, I have a kicker 10"compC sub/box combo that is ported box.  Maybe a dumb move on my part getting it, but got it for $74 open box special and it is slim enough to fit behind my seats in my van.  I just thought I should get a sub since I will only have the front speakers.  Hopefully that wasn't a poor choice??  I also wanted to add, that I listen to everything as far as music goes except rap, if that matters.

Any advice on stepping up from my infinity kappa 60.9cs would be welcome.  Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't buy the infinity speakers. You claim you don't like the harsh tweeters (which they are known for) and want a different sound...so why buy yet another set of them.

I have used many speakers over the years but for well over 10 years now I only buy CDT Audio Gold. Best sounding comps I've ever heard with smooth highs. Yer gonna have to spend more money of you want those though...or any good comp package.

Don't buy the infinity speakers. You claim you don't like the harsh tweeters (which they are known for) and want a different sound...so why buy yet another set of them.

I have used many speakers over the years but for well over 10 years now I only buy CDT Audio Gold. Best sounding comps I've ever heard with smooth highs. Yer gonna have to spend more money of you want those though...or any good comp package.
I guess I figured maybe with the new model of kappas, maybe they would sound different.  Looks like they got a different tweeter on the 60.11cs than the 60.9cs.  but, ya it's probably similar in sound quality.   I can't swing the CDT gold, but  I have seen some CDT HD components floating around on eBay for $200-$250 range.   Are those a good option in your opinion?

Mate, its kinda hard to make a suggestion for you as what sounds good to me may not be your cup of tea.  I suggest you visit a car audio shop to audition a few components as that is the best way to choose speakers to your liking and budget.  Once you know which particular model/brand you are after then you have to option to buy it from there or look on-line.

Regardless of any component you choose, don't forget to apply sound deadening to your doors as well as that will increase your mid-bass performance dramatically and also quieten your cars interior as well....winning!!!

lastly, I am not sure if you would go the whole hog and do a custom door trim to accommodate 2 way or 3 way system as you have that Ford., but would be a good option to look into depending on your budget. :rolleyes:

I had Infinity speakers before and did not like their over-bright tweeters which used to down the mid-bass so they did not provide a well balanced sound as they tweeters were too efficient compared to the mid-woofer and that is the case for most entry level / cheap component speakers.  Best to go listen to a few and don't forget the size of your stock speakers so you can accommodate them with minimal modifications.  Also speaker depth is also an important factor.  Would be a good measure to open one door trim and take out one of the woofers to see clearance space at the back.  You could wind down the glass and then measure form the speaker screw points to the glass scissors / mechanism to get a measurement impression. :graduate:

Let us know how you go mate! :suave:

DSC_1124.jpg

doesnt really matter too much on the speakers, the most important thing is actual audio tuning and adjustments.  If the tweeters were too strong, in a passive crossover setup, you just got fked because you have no way to individually adjust the tweeter and mid levels and you also dont have the ability to individually time align drivers as well as fix any phasing issues. So all in all, stop looking at components and do a real SQ setup. You wont get anywhere worthwhile with passive components if sound quality is actually a main factor.

doesnt really matter too much on the speakers, the most important thing is actual audio tuning and adjustments.  If the tweeters were too strong, in a passive crossover setup, you just got fked because you have no way to individually adjust the tweeter and mid levels and you also dont have the ability to individually time align drivers as well as fix any phasing issues. So all in all, stop looking at components and do a real SQ setup. You wont get anywhere worthwhile with passive components if sound quality is actually a main factor.
I appreciate the advice but most of what you said went right over my head since I am a newbie.  Couple questions... So does "active" mean powering a woofer and a tweeter separately, meaning the tweeters and woofers are powered and controlled independently from each other VS the passive crossover feeding both tweeter and woofer?    

2nd question.  I already purchased and installed new Kenwood Excelon KDC-X502 HU.  I don't think it is setup to run active as you described with its crossover capability.  Does my amplifier have the ability to run an active set? I ha e an "Infinity kappa Four" amplifier.   Or does an active set up ha e to be ran using a HU with that capability?   Cause my amplifier has gain control and HP, LP filter and frequency control.  Or is that different?  Thanks

I appreciate the advice but most of what you said went right over my head since I am a newbie.  Couple questions... So does "active" mean powering a woofer and a tweeter separately, meaning the tweeters and woofers are powered and controlled independently from each other VS the passive crossover feeding both tweeter and woofer?    

2nd question.  I already purchased and installed new Kenwood Excelon KDC-X502 HU.  I don't think it is setup to run active as you described with its crossover capability.  Does my amplifier have the ability to run an active set? I ha e an "Infinity kappa Four" amplifier.   Or does an active set up ha e to be ran using a HU with that capability?   Cause my amplifier has gain control and HP, LP filter and frequency control.  Or is that different?  Thanks
no kenwoods can do active.  You can do it at the amp if your amp has a midrange low pass or bandpass filter that goes up to 5000hz  but its really not advisable because you are locked in the slope and cant change it. 

Active means powering a woofer and tweeter separately and you get to assign the crossover point vs the cookie cutter point that may or may not work with your vehicle acoustics/listening preferences.   When you get to assign your own crossover point, you can use that to tame harsh peaks caused by the vehicle's acoustics along with balancing out the levels properly and you can achieve a perfect blend between midrange tweeter and subwoofer. You can also time align each mid and tweet individually because they are not the same distance from eachother and with time alignment, all the frequencies hit your ears the same time which creates a virtual soundstage, you literally see the artist perform in real life on your dash through sound. Tats how true sound quality is attained.  

I guess I figured maybe with the new model of kappas, maybe they would sound different.  Looks like they got a different tweeter on the 60.11cs than the 60.9cs.  but, ya it's probably similar in sound quality.   I can't swing the CDT gold, but  I have seen some CDT HD components floating around on eBay for $200-$250 range.   Are those a good option in your opinion?
I hear you. I have tried multiple infinity speakers over the years and sure some sound better than others but they all have that infinity sound signature and IMO harsh tweeters.

I mainly run CDT Gold but I have a couple of the CDT HD comps as well. They sound fantastic too.

Last edited by a moderator:
forget components, get a good active network head unit and buy quality drivers Vifa XT 25 tweeters and silverflute 6.5s should smash your infinities ran active.
I can attest to that. I even ran mine passive and they sounded better than just about any comp set I have heard less than $200 or so. And better than any infinity speakers I have heard. But I have never liked how bright infinity speakers are.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.