Oil decomposition & changing

Participant count
  • Participants list

DarkKnightSM

Senior VIP Member
You know how they say to change your oil every 3-6 months or 3000 miles with conventional, and every 1 year and 7-10k miles for synthetic? Ive been reading and discussing with several people, mechanics etc, and i cannot come to a conclusion on whethor or not it is nessesary to change oil on a time interval. For instance, if i put oil in my car, and it sits for a year, why do i have to change my oil every year?

The oil just sits in the motor as it would in the jug. They say the oil starts to break down and the lubricative properties become less and less, however why would it breakdown sitting in a metal engine vs a plastic jug. I doubt these claims and beleive this is a sales attempt by oil companies to sell more oil but answers all over the internet are based on different opinions.

The only possible explaination i can think of, to defend the oil breakdown theory, is the heat of the motor starts the process of oil decomposition. So even if the car is started once in that year, that extreme heat is what activates the chemicals in the oil, eventually leading to the breakdown. But i am having no luck on finding evidence to support this theory. Opinions?

Edit: i will add that oil in the jug hardly, if at all has an expiration date. Or does it?

@DarkKnightSM; Why don't you just try to drive it once a month or something? Then you wouldn't have this problem. If it were me, I would change it if it's been sitting there for a year without driving da m n. It's a small cost to pay if you're putting on 0 miles and paying no insurance. I have heard many times from several mechanics and very knowledgable car people that it's not good having a car sit around like that. I've even seen it first hand when my friend bought a car that had low mileage. The person who sold it did say it has been sitting around not being driven. One night it just wouldn't start up. I called AAA in the middle of the night to come check it out to see if they can help. The guy went underneath the car and start banging on something and the car barely got to work again. He's like.. this car hasn't been driven in a while huh? Luckily the car was driven pretty often after that and never had that problem again.

I have my car in my sig stashed away in a garage not being driven either. But i still drive it once a month just to make sure all the oils and shitz will still be good.

You should change the transmission oil too while you're at it. It's just not worth it overall I know. Just make an effort to drive the car. I'm sure the oil companies are saying this to boost their sales and it's all a conspiracy theory but what if there's a slight chance that it's true? Are you willing to risk paying more in the long run to repair the engine? or sell it at loss.

I believe the oil will break down eventually. It's inevitable. I think you pretty much answered your own question when saying the heat of the motor starting the process of the breakdown. and what about contamination from old oil and dirt from inside. So many ways for it to happen.

i used to be an amsoil distributor., i've read a ton about oil.. # 1 never use reg oil always use at least a blend, the pensoil semi synthetic is 40% synthetic so if u have absolutely no leaks use that for 8k miles easy.. my valve cover gaskets have tiny leak (actually called seepage cause) front 1 has a recall and i can get new gasket and cover free just gotta drop car off but sometimes things do work the way they think, it's not really leaking now with castrol gtx hi mileage semi syn.. also new gm cars have oil monitor, wifes car says to change it at about 7-8k miles and thats with a blend she uses synthetic so could go longer.. oil breaks down because of repeated heating & cooling, condensation can get in motor so thats main reason to change oil, not that oil is bad just what is in motor with the oil.. if u leave car sitting u should start it and drive it 5 miles every 2 weeks to help oil protect engine parts, if u do that u could let it set for 18-24mo if u really only have like 1-2k miles with s semi synthetic oil... i have preached about importance oil of and proper changes for yrs.. amsoil did a big test with cabs some changed regularly some cars changed 6 months no diff in internal parts.. also girl i was in school with said her car was messing up she had it looked at oil hadn't been changed in 12 yrs only reason she had a problem was the filter stopped up!!!! so u don't have to change it that often just as long as it's every 15k miles u be fine with good oil and filter is big reason for change..

[quote name='blazian87']@DarkKnightSM; Why don't you just try to drive it once a month or something? Then you wouldn't have this problem. If it were me, I would change it if it's been sitting there for a year without driving da m n. It's a small cost to pay if you're putting on 0 miles and paying no insurance. I have heard many times from several mechanics and very knowledgable car people that it's not good having a car sit around like that. I've even seen it first hand when my friend bought a car that had low mileage. The person who sold it did say it has been sitting around not being driven. One night it just wouldn't start up. I called AAA in the middle of the night to come check it out to see if they can help. The guy went underneath the car and start banging on something and the car barely got to work again. He's like.. this car hasn't been driven in a while huh? Luckily the car was driven pretty often after that and never had that problem again.

I have my car in my sig stashed away in a garage not being driven either. But i still drive it once a month just to make sure all the oils and shitz will still be good.[/QUOTE]

I drive or start up my vehicles atleast once a week. It was more a thought on how jugged oil doesnt go bad.

I drive or start up my vehicles atleast once a week. It was more a thought on how jugged oil doesnt go bad.
Hmm.. well if you're referring to metal vs plastic jug, then it makes sense that a chemical would not be affected from plastic container especially in an airtight seal. Kind of reminds me of Breaking Bad tv show where they have to use a plastic container, nothing else, if you know what I'm talking about.

Hmm.. well if you're referring to metal vs plastic jug, then it makes sense that a chemical would not be affected from plastic container especially in an airtight seal. Kind of reminds me of Breaking Bad tv show where they have to use a plastic container, nothing else, if you know what I'm talking about.
Yes! My fav show, good analogy

i used to be an amsoil distributor., i've read a ton about oil.. # 1 never use reg oil always use at least a blend, the pensoil semi synthetic is 40% synthetic so if u have absolutely no leaks use that for 8k miles easy.. my valve cover gaskets have tiny leak (actually called seepage cause) front 1 has a recall and i can get new gasket and cover free just gotta drop car off but sometimes things do work the way they think, it's not really leaking now with castrol gtx hi mileage semi syn.. also new gm cars have oil monitor, wifes car says to change it at about 7-8k miles and thats with a blend she uses synthetic so could go longer.. oil breaks down because of repeated heating & cooling, condensation can get in motor so thats main reason to change oil, not that oil is bad just what is in motor with the oil.. if u leave car sitting u should start it and drive it 5 miles every 2 weeks to help oil protect engine parts, if u do that u could let it set for 18-24mo if u really only have like 1-2k miles with s semi synthetic oil... i have preached about importance oil of and proper changes for yrs.. amsoil did a big test with cabs some changed regularly some cars changed 6 months no diff in internal parts.. also girl i was in school with said her car was messing up she had it looked at oil hadn't been changed in 12 yrs only reason she had a problem was the filter stopped up!!!! so u don't have to change it that often just as long as it's every 15k miles u be fine with good oil and filter is big reason for change..
The later part in your post was very helpful. I actually found an article not to long after posting this that had a chart on all the things that affect oil in a motor, condensation, heat cycles, i think i even breifly found stuff about bacteria. All good points whereas a plastic jug is sealed from all this, duhhh

The later part in your post was very helpful. I actually found an article not to long after posting this that had a chart on all the things that affect oil in a motor, condensation, heat cycles, i think i even breifly found stuff about bacteria. All good points whereas a plastic jug is sealed from all this, duhhh
yep my neighbor said how does motor get dirty when it's sealed., i said air filter., it's not totally air tight like the jug.. reg oil can turn acidic after long enough but if u use a good full syn oil, u can change filter every 6 months and leave oil for 3-5 yr, peeps that have big trucks do it to save $ amsoil expensive af., u can even send a sample of used oil and they always tell u it's good for another 10-20k miles..

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.