Proper Door Sound Deadening and You

Hi squeak,

How are you going to get the door panel back on? Doesn't the Deadener on the inside make the panel not sit right? And I suppose your're going to cut a hole in it to let the MDF spacer stick through? What do you do with that whole thing sticking out, put some kind of molding around it?

Ok I just finished deadening my doors with the peel n seal roofing stuff I only used 10 squared feet per door and the difference is amazing. My subs used to rattle the heck out of my doors at half vol. Now they bearly rattle at full vol. but the subs pretty much drowned it out, you have to get right up to the door to hear it. Any way I only spent $25 for 25 squared ft. at lowes. If you have trouble with subs rattleling your car you should get this stuff its cheap and works really well. There is a slight smell but not as bad as I thought it would be. Even my door speakers sound better. This stuff is a real good buy.

Wow, i just spent the better part of 2 hours reading http://www.sounddeadenershowdown.com/ That was the best write up I have ever seen on just about any topic. He will deff get a little paypal help when i get the chance!

I do have a question for anyone who can help me. Ive decided on the Damplifier sound deadener but im STILL not sure how much im going to need. I plan to do 50% coverage on both front doors and most of the rear deck in a Lexus IS300. Anyone have a decent EDUCATED guess on how much i will need?
I'd get 125 sq ft or so, whatever you don't use there you can always put somewhere else or double up.

I'd get 125 sq ft or so, whatever you don't use there you can always put somewhere else or double up.
I finished the intstall last weekend and I must say im inpressed with how it turned out. I didnt get crazy with the deadener but the difference is unreal.

As a matter of fact one of my friends on the cross country team got in my car this morning and she said, "****, your car is sooo quite!"

Biggest...smile.....evar:D

i was wondering, instead up placing eg cartong foam inside your door panl, if its ok to put fiber glass in fora substitute, the reason is because i cant find any egg carton foam, and regular foam at fabric stores are about $30for a yard.

I think there are some misconceptions going around here. At least I have certainly ran into some after reading tons of pages on multiple forums about "sound deadening".

The most important thing imo is that sound deadening can be split into two categories:

1) Stopping rattles/reverberations from your car stereo

2) Dampening noise coming in from the outside

The problem is that almost everyone talks exclusively about the butyl/asphalt mass products designed to stop rattling and vibration in your car. These are great for what they do, especially if you have a system that causes stuff to rattle and shake. However, I am skeptical as to how much this actually helps stop road noise from entering your car! I am sure it works to an extent but it seems like a mixture of some other techniques more commonly used to dampen sound would have a greater effect.

I don't know very much about this so I am posting this mainly as a question. Say if you did not plan on playing an extremely loud system, therefore having few instances of stereo induced rattling, but wanted a high level of dampening from outside sound, what should you do to your car?

Foam, carpet padding, fiberglass, extra layers of butyl, caulking? What should you use and where should you put it? In my car, a ton of noise comes in from the engine compartment through the firewall. Should I load up the area with flame retardant foam, or something else?

Thanks.

//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crap.gif.7f4dd41e3e9b23fbd170a1ee6f65cecc.gif I just applied deadener to the plastic panel that comes off...I thought that was what was meant by inner door skin. Is this completely worthless?

//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crap.gif.7f4dd41e3e9b23fbd170a1ee6f65cecc.gif I just applied deadener to the plastic panel that comes off...I thought that was what was meant by inner door skin. Is this completely worthless?
yes. deadener is for stopping metal from resonating.

Say if you did not plan on playing an extremely loud system, therefore having few instances of stereo induced rattling, but wanted a high level of dampening from outside sound, what should you do to your car?
Foam, carpet padding, fiberglass, extra layers of butyl, caulking? What should you use and where should you put it? In my car, a ton of noise comes in from the engine compartment through the firewall. Should I load up the area with flame retardant foam, or something else?

Thanks.
Closed cell foam. Line your floor, inner door skin, roof (?), interior fenders, and firewall with it. Also, caulk or foam any gaps where sound might be transferred through a passageway.

Also, you can fill your frame rails, trunk support beams, and floor crossmembers with the NON-pressure expanding foam for windows and doors (this is really important). http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=15634-236-230612&lpage=none

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.