Question about Sundown audio.

I think most people just think they want sq and really mean bass that sounds good and isnt boomy/sloppy
This.

And that Sundown Amp is good for your speakers, great for running an active set-up. Does that 3 grand need to include installation or are you installing it yourself? Regardless, if you shop around, you can get a hell of a system for 1-2k, and use the other thousand for installation if you can't do it yourself. There's a ton of ways you can go with it. You'd have to give a lot more info on your goals though.

Actually, I do believe that JL dub3, dub6, and dub7 are good for their purposes.What I know, tho, is that I've heard very few people put the ones you named up in the top tiers of SQ-dom, especially for someone with a $3k budget who can afford a wholelotfukkinbettah. If you think DD = SQ , then I question if you've any clue what SQ consists of.

I'd def take a W6 before anything in those lines, every day of the week, and twice on Sundays...
I didn't see the thread where the OP asked for SQ. My JL comment was mainly a joke. Don't take it so serious.

I gave him some suggestions to look into. He's asking about Sundown. If someone is asking about Sundown, they aren't looking for a true SQ setup. Some people say SQ but they don't truly mean SQ or know exactly what they are looking for (no offense OP). And if they're asking about Sundown, I'm sure they are open to internet brands and not mainstream brands. He even says he's looking into the Xcon. I've run W3s and W6s and they were "okay" at best. I don't want to get in a debate on whether JL is good or not. I think most people know they are good but perhaps overpriced for what they are and should be used for certain applications versus others. That's my opinion. You can agree or disagree but it is what it is. And I would take a Havoc, Mayhem, Icon, Xcon, Zcon, or DC Lelve 4, or DC XL over a W6, even a W7, any day of the week.

Sounded nice till I read Subdown...
Cmon don't bag on Sundown.....just last year a vehicle running Sundown subs took first place in it's SQ class at IASCA...a pickup truck at that....just because they are more widely used for SPL doesn't mean that they are not able to sound good as well

Wow, you got a lot of knowledgeable people helping you out with info. I will only say that SQ is so dependent on install, they really go hand in hand. Even average equipment can be made to sound amazing with proper attention paid to the right details. I usually don't comment because I don't want to be subscribed to a billion threads, but I had to comment here, love me some information. I really think you should make some trips to some shows that include SQ contests and demo some people's equipment. One of the most amazing SQ vehicles I ever heard utilized 2 18" subs, and is a World Champion.

@princ3cmo

I didn't see the thread where the OP asked for SQ. My JL comment was mainly a joke. Don't take it so serious.
I gave him some suggestions to look into. He's asking about Sundown. If someone is asking about Sundown, they aren't looking for a true SQ setup. Some people say SQ but they don't truly mean SQ or know exactly what they are looking for (no offense OP). And if they're asking about Sundown, I'm sure they are open to internet brands and not mainstream brands. He even says he's looking into the Xcon. I've run W3s and W6s and they were "okay" at best. I don't want to get in a debate on whether JL is good or not. I think most people know they are good but perhaps overpriced for what they are and should be used for certain applications versus others. That's my opinion. You can agree or disagree but it is what it is. And I would take a Havoc, Mayhem, Icon, Xcon, Zcon, or DC Lelve 4, or DC XL over a W6, even a W7, any day of the week.
So what ur saying is that opie posted a thread asking for advice on something he wasn't sure about, you failed to read it yet still attempted to give advice on something you know nothing about, and are now trying to justify ur apparent ignorance by blaming the OP.

Pretty much sum it up?

So what ur saying is that opie posted a thread asking for advice on something he wasn't sure about, you failed to read it yet still attempted to give advice on something you know nothing about, and are now trying to justify ur apparent ignorance by blaming the OP.
Pretty much sum it up?
Here I'll sum it up for you. You're a JL nut hugging want to be. Enough said. This is why I hate forums. You can't give anyone any advice without some idiot telling you're wrong. It's ADVICE on a brand of sub. How am I wrong? He asked about sundown. I offered a few other brands. Get a life.

Here I'll sum it up for you. You're a JL nut hugging want to be. Enough said. This is why I hate forums. You can't give anyone any advice without some idiot telling you're wrong. It's ADVICE on a brand of sub. How am I wrong? He asked about sundown. I offered a few other brands. Get a life.
lol, umadbro?

And, yes, the OP put "Sundown" in there, but that doesn't mean one should toss-out a laundry list of names---- as you did, at least twice---- when he also indicated he wanted SQ. (Most who remark about wanting SQ are actually more about SQL, and not looking to invest thousand$ into Mac equipment.)

You come beebopping along and regurgitate a bunch of names you've read at some point, with only a few known for SQ....kinda like tossing mud against the wall to see what sticks.

With the OP's budget, he has plenty of choices. Unfortunately, tho, he might think you know what you're talking about, and go for a DD sub or a DC Level 4 when his budget and his wants would allow him many better choices.

Now, granted, a subwoofer is not going to be the heart of an SQ system and installation is a key point, BUT, better to point him towards the lines of Morel, Dynaudio, etc.

More in the middle range, maybe suggest an IDQ, Dayton HO, Fi Q, and, yes, even the JL W6 that folks love to hate.

(Just to toss out another sweet little SQL sub that nobody gives much credit to: Infinity Reference 1060w / 1260w. Nice noise on the super cheap!)

In the end, I say that you shouldn't be offering advice on a topic and then be crying because someone tells you your "advice" suxxx when it does.

Cmon don't bag on Sundown.....just last year a vehicle running Sundown subs took first place in it's SQ class at IASCA...a pickup truck at that....just because they are more widely used for SPL doesn't mean that they are not able to sound good as well
Ya and a Kicker L7 won a couple SQ comps too but that doesn't mean it is the best option lol...

always liked the sd line, great woofers for the price/output.

Though for a tahoe, i'd look for more output. try a saz-1000 and pair of sa woofers if stuck on sundown.

Well this thread looks fun lol

With 3 grand for an SQ setup, I agree with @Flex68 all the way.

IMO, all of the JL hate with the "much better for less" crap has been proven wrong more than once and the w6 continues to win SQ comp after comp, why wouldn't u recommend a nice product to someone? Just b/c u heard it was "overpriced" online? Come on dude.

OP, like stated earlier, if you're wanting true SQ, look into Morel, JL, JBL, Adire, Dayton, etc.
For SQL, look into the SSA lineup, Sundown works for this purpose as well.

Maybe you should better define what type of SQ you are looking for...are u looking to get loud while still sounding good? or are you looking for true SQ in which the sub is not able to be localized, and there is virtually a concert on your dash/hood?

Ya and a Kicker L7 won a couple SQ comps too but that doesn't mean it is the best option lol...
Never said anything about "best option" lol......not to mention that's such a very subjective term....I've been in this business on and off about 25yrs now and I've seen a lot of brands come and go and even return a time or two, so I don't let myself get caught up in big brand names any longer like I did in the early years, it's all about what actually performs and what don't, but of course back then it WAS the big brand names that were the true performers. Now there are smaller lesser know companies that have incredible equipment also, HAT is a prime example of that just to name one....

My point was simply that Sundowns can perform in an SQ application just the same as the more bigger "know" SQ brands......thus my build....//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif:D:D

Hell, OP, just pick up a couple of Critical Mass UL12's and you will get a boner every time you sit in the SUV !

Course you'll prolly have to up that $3k budget by a bit....and that will just be for the 2 subs

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...