SEALED vs PORTED (basic info.)

Yes - sealed boxes are less sensitive to small errors in internal volume than other types - but it has to be included with any box calculation. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

nice stiicky i just found out this one til today after 3 months surfing this forum..... I'll go ahead and DIY my box now and saves money instead of having some1 building it.

Lots of great info in this thread. I saw some unanswered questions along the way, but I don't know that the original posters are still around, so I won't go quoting/answering. As I'm trying to get back into car audio I'll be frequenting the board more often and can help answer them as they come.

For the record, I agree with the few posters in here that have said there is almost no case where a sealed box will perform better that a ported box... only when faced with huge size constraints would I sacrifice the efficiency that the ported box brings to go sealed. Efficiency can go a long way to improving sound quality, especially with the mammoth subs a lot of you SPL guys run.

Lots of great info in this thread. I saw some unanswered questions along the way, but I don't know that the original posters are still around, so I won't go quoting/answering. As I'm trying to get back into car audio I'll be frequenting the board more often and can help answer them as they come.
For the record, I agree with the few posters in here that have said there is almost no case where a sealed box will perform better that a ported box... only when faced with huge size constraints would I sacrifice the efficiency that the ported box brings to go sealed. Efficiency can go a long way to improving sound quality, especially with the mammoth subs a lot of you SPL guys run.
I agree even after this being 4 years old great info...thanks

I'm sure you guys are going to attack me for this, but so be it. I have 2 kicker l7 15's and a 94 Honda accord trunk. I don't have them in yet because the amps i have now aren't big enough, but that's besides the point. I built a quick box for them just for something to hold me over until I make another (proabably build one inside my trunk. The box I built is 36" x 18"x 10.5". Thats a rough estimate just know it's small and also its a PORTED box. I got did it and it came to be about 1.5 cubic feet per sub. Will this sound like ****? How bad is this for these subs? Its temporary, but should I use the box at all? Thank you!

I'm sure you guys are going to attack me for this, but so be it. I have 2 kicker l7 15's and a 94 Honda accord trunk. I don't have them in yet because the amps i have now aren't big enough, but that's besides the point. I built a quick box for them just for something to hold me over until I make another (proabably build one inside my trunk. The box I built is 36" x 18"x 10.5". Thats a rough estimate just know it's small and also its a PORTED box. I got did it and it came to be about 1.5 cubic feet per sub. Will this sound like ****? How bad is this for these subs? Its temporary, but should I use the box at all? Thank you!
what's the tuning on it? Or do you not know the tuning?

yea I have no idea. Im not a noob at car audio (know more than the people I know and do car audio with), but when it comes to the most of you I know **** squat. I'm a noob. I even know how to tune... im guessingits the size of the port.?

yea I have no idea. Im not a noob at car audio (know more than the people I know and do car audio with), but when it comes to the most of you I know **** squat. I'm a noob. I even know how to tune... im guessingits the size of the port.?
Wow this is starting off bad. How did you port it, if you don't know how to design a ported enclosure?

I suggest you take it out before damaging your equipment. Build a temporary sealed enclosure for them until you figure out how you're going to go about building a proper ported enclosure.

I would love to see pictures of your current ported box //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

Wow this is starting off bad. How did you port it, if you don't know how to design a ported enclosure?
I suggest you take it out before damaging your equipment. Build a temporary sealed enclosure for them until you figure out how you're going to go about building a proper ported enclosure.

I would love to see pictures of your current ported box //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif
lmao... actually to be quiet honest I went off a previous box. The box looks nice and professional. When I got the box someone previous already chopped it down to fit into there vehicle. It wouldn't fit in mine nor did they do it right (sealing it, carpeting and there was about a 1/4 gap literally for the air to get to the port.) so I decided just for the mean time I would cut it down, and redo everything. I cut the box back a good 5" more than the previous person did. Then I left a 2" gap for the air to get to the port. IDK 2" sounded good. I hope you guys understand what I am talking about. I am in college so cant take pics. Its in my room till I get a amp.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...