Should I be concerned about my voltage?

Participant count
  • Participants list

Jonnyswboy

CarAudio.com Exclusive
Hello,

I am worried that my alternator (110A) may not be able to maintain battery voltage with the subwoofer I ordered. My battery voltage fluctuates between 13.0-13.6v. It drops to closer to 13.0v when the AC/Headlights are on at idle and when I am cruising it usually hovers at 13.3v. Vehicle is a 4cyl 2010 Mazda 6.

1. I plan on drawing ~1000-1100w RMS. Could I get away with that?

2. Is the alternator regulated somehow and will work harder to compensate with the load of the subwoofer? I am worried about voltage drop as I listen to a lot of music with long bass notes. I plan on turning the amp up until I hit ~12.8v or see really bad dimming.

3. Also should I be worried about dips in voltage (11.Xv) that are too fast for the meter to pick up that could potentially damage my cars electronics?

Is your big 3 done
I only had enough wire leftover to add a ground on the battery negative to the block. From my understanding the stock wiring for the alternator to the battery is fine as it would only be able to supply as much current as the alt is rated for. I also metered all the grounds and they are solid.

Goal of big 3 to prepare and ensure max availability and flow of all the amperage your electrical system is capable of delivering. Get an amp that is rated at 12v could also help but generally you want to do everything you can to ensure you don’t dip below the 12’s. Factor how much amperage your car needs minus the system and the balance is what you can spare for radio. Musical listening amperage pull will be a fraction of the max pull of a 1k+ So you may be okay with a good battery.

Yes, alt output is regulated. Older Ford and Mazdas traditionally use mitsubishi alternators which in my experience are pretty strong.
I wouldn't worry much about ~1kw with your 100-110A alt. Voltage may sag a bit at high volume low rpm, but as long as it's not spending a LOT of time at or below 12.5v everything should run fine.
Keep in mind -- running at higher capacity means running hotter so the alt can't be expected to last forever - especially if it's the original as it probably already has ~100k on it.

Yes, alt output is regulated. Older Ford and Mazdas traditionally use mitsubishi alternators which in my experience are pretty strong.
I wouldn't worry much about ~1kw with your 100-110A alt. Voltage may sag a bit at high volume low rpm, but as long as it's not spending a LOT of time at or below 12.5v everything should run fine.
Keep in mind -- running at higher capacity means running hotter so the alt can't be expected to last forever - especially if it's the original as it probably already has ~100k on it.
Thank you, this is the answer I was looking for. It only has 60k miles and I'm not too worried about blowing up the alternator as it would give me an excuse to get a HO alt.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.