Silverado Suspension upgrade help

adulbrich
5,000+ posts

Olive oil un-virginer
Ames, Iowa
Well, before adding 1,500 pounds of battery, I should probably upgrade my rear suspension, lol.

Cheapest option would be to add air shocks. Might not be the best fix.

"Helper" leaf springs are another cost effective option.

Or, I could get OEM 3500 leaf springs and swap my 1500 springs out with them. Not 100% sure they would fit, but would double check. Anyone know?

Helper bags between the leaf springs and frame. These would be a good option, but I don't know which ones would be the best for me to get. I'd like to get ones that don't need an external air compressor. I don't need anything fancy with controls in the cab to adjust them. I'd like to just set them and never have to mess with them again. Not something I'd constantly be adjusting the pressure in.

Polyurethane helper "bags" (with no air in them). These might be my best option. Anyone know where I can get them reasonably priced for a 2007 Silverado 1500 Classic?

Get 2500hd springs for the rear, generalspringkc always looked good to me. Iirc any spring up to a 3500hd is the same length but it may lift you depending on weight sag so consider longer shocks

Expect a stiffer ride but this is by far the easier option

Either put 2500 shocks in or a helper leaf

How much do those batts weight all together? I have over 1000lbs in the rear of my truck on stock suspension and rides fine.

Tuned in... Not trying to thread-steal but I also would love to know what do I need to do to my vehicle if I add lots of weight to the trunk... (Just springs?)

for a car u need helper bags or new springs... There is a local shop here that will make custom spring for any car, you tell them your car and how much weight your hauling and they wil hook up your car with the proper shocks... I would suggest looking for a local custom shop.

Get 2500hd springs for the rear, generalspringkc always looked good to me. Iirc any spring up to a 3500hd is the same length but it may lift you depending on weight sag so consider longer shocks
Expect a stiffer ride but this is by far the easier option
Thanks, I planned to take out my stock blocks so it wasn't lifted when adding the new springs

Either put 2500 shocks in or a helper leafHow much do those batts weight all together? I have over 1000lbs in the rear of my truck on stock suspension and rides fine.
Each C&D is 50 pounds. There's 31 of those, plus I'll be using the five group 49's which are 60 pounds each, and will be mounting the amps with lots of copper wire too.

Realistically, there will be 1,900+ pounds in the back. It sags bad //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crap.gif.7f4dd41e3e9b23fbd170a1ee6f65cecc.gif

Now I'm considering the 2500HD or 3500 leaf springs. Would be $425 for 2500 leaf springs

Thanks, I planned to take out my stock blocks so it wasn't lifted when adding the new springs

Each C&D is 50 pounds. There's 31 of those, plus I'll be using the five group 49's which are 60 pounds each, and will be mounting the amps with lots of copper wire too.

Realistically, there will be 1,900+ pounds in the back. It sags bad //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/crap.gif.7f4dd41e3e9b23fbd170a1ee6f65cecc.gif

Now I'm considering the 2500HD or 3500 leaf springs. Would be $425 for 2500 leaf springs

Yea 2000lb is a lot. 2500hd should do nicely

I used to load 2500 Chevys with 3500lbs pallets on cement blocks and they would squat but would haul the weight. 2000lbs should be ok. I'd still have that helper spring. Because they are flipped around making it handle the load so much better... If this is a daily driver I just don't see the need or purpose for that many batteries. That's unpractical and unessary but to each their own... Oh and make sure you have load E tires

how much sag do you have with your current springs? how flat are they without a load? they may already be sagging - i know mine are (16 years old vs 9)

call them up see what they say, my money is on the 2500hd springs being just right.

seriously try to find a 2500hd pack with tons of small leaves.... seriously trust me lol itll be worth it even ask for a custom pack if you're willing to spend a small amount more

I used to load 2500 Chevys with 3500lbs pallets on cement blocks and they would squat but would haul the weight. 2000lbs should be ok. I'd still have that helper spring. Because they are flipped around making it handle the load so much better... If this is a daily driver I just don't see the need or purpose for that many batteries. That's unpractical and unessary but to each their own... Oh and make sure you have load E tires
I'm not sure what load my tires are rated for, but they hold 80psi all day. I've got 65 in each for daily driving

how much sag do you have with your current springs? how flat are they without a load? they may already be sagging - i know mine are (16 years old vs 9)
call them up see what they say, my money is on the 2500hd springs being just right.

seriously try to find a 2500hd pack with tons of small leaves.... seriously trust me lol itll be worth it even ask for a custom pack if you're willing to spend a small amount more
Unloaded they don't sag. Loaded down, there's almost no travel left.

The company truck for making battery runs for Mr. Battery is an early 2000's Silverado 2500HD with a single cab and long bed. The leaf springs on it look a foot longer than the ones on my truck. Not sure if it being a long bed has anything to do with it //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/confused.gif.e820e0216602db4765798ac39d28caa9.gif

edit: theyre all the same so nvm. just look on this page: 1999 - 2012 Chevy Silverado / GMC Sierra 1500 Leaf Springs
i believe its the half ton 99-11 silverado springs, essentially all those are the same, i believe the 2500hd as well, but i could be wrong

looks like they're all 32 inches long... lol so im gonna say theyre the same length
Thanks!!

I think I'm going to go with these:

1999 - 2012 Chevy Silverado / GMC Sierra 1500, 1999 - 2010 2500 / 3500 rear leaf spring, 3300 lbs capacity, 8(7/1) leaves

Rated for 3,300 pounds and I'll remove my stock blocks to even out the ride height.

I appreciate the helpful link!

Thanks!!
I think I'm going to go with these:

1999 - 2012 Chevy Silverado / GMC Sierra 1500, 1999 - 2010 2500 / 3500 rear leaf spring, 3300 lbs capacity, 8(7/1) leaves

Rated for 3,300 pounds and I'll remove my stock blocks to even out the ride height.

I appreciate the helpful link!
that's what id do, if you want to verify they'll fit before you order just give them a call.

depending on what your bushings look like it might be a good idea to change them out so you dont get squeaking from the spring perches. i know mine are nearly shot

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.