Subwoofer randomly started rattling at high volumes

Participant count
  • Participants list

Blake Vandercar

CarAudio.com Newbie
Out of nowhere my sub now rattles (sound comes from the center of it) at high volumes, almost as if it’s whacking something? Suspension is good and bass is very much still present, just with the addition of an annoying rattling sound. What gives?

Only thing I can think of is maybe one of my T Nuts loosened up on the inside of the enclosure and is now stuck to the magnet. Maybe I should crack this guy open...

Out of nowhere my sub now rattles (sound comes from the center of it) at high volumes, almost as if it’s whacking something? Suspension is good and bass is very much still present, just with the addition of an annoying rattling sound. What gives?

Only thing I can think of is maybe one of my T Nuts loosened up on the inside of the enclosure and is now stuck to the magnet. Maybe I should crack this guy open...
I noticed mine doing this also, but i think it was like it when i purchased. I got mine from the SA Yard Sale. I believe mine is voice coil rub. I can barley push on the top side surround and it stops. Im going to take it out this weekend and try to balance it. I read this can work sometimes with super glue or something similar.

Also i read it could be uneven tension on the screws (dont know if thats true). Your best bet is to take it out, run it outside of the box and inspect it

I’ll take it out and see if there’s and abnormalities on the inside. If this is the case, is there a fix? Covered under warranty? Sub is 1 month old. Sundown 12”

Dual coil 4-ohm 750W sub wired in parallel to an amp rated 800W @ 2 ohm. Gain was less than half on the amp and level dial was not all the way up. Many reviews say people are able to overdrive this sub much, much more than 800W and it can take it all day— this should not have happened with this sub.

Push down on the dust cap, if it makes a sound or feels like its hitting or rubbing something then your coil is fucked. And for how much power you're giving it, if your clipping hard it really don't matter if it's only getting rated power it's gonna eventually get too hot and melt the glue and slinky your coil.

So with all being said and without getting into it anymore, your just going to have to pull it out to get an accurate diagnosis of the sub, once you have it out then wire it up play it free air and see with your eyes what it is. if you don't then it can get worse and stop playing anymore.
Sounds like a tinsel lead to me that is starting to fall off but more commonly burt and has failed. This is the most common failure point to the subwoofer.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.