Tips to avoid getting jacked

Isn't there a country that sells lethal car anti-theft systems?

Very funny on U-tube on the topic...

My head unit was jacked once... not even a high end system. It was my first car, an 84 monte carlo. Miss that system, miss the car more (it died shortly after the radio was stolen). Would have paid anything to catch the burgler in the process (and have had a baseball bat). I sit back sometimes and dream about beating his head in... I'm not a voilent person either, but nothing matches the rage I get when my stuff is messed with. People who mess with our HARD earned merchandise need to be removed from society either by permanent isolation or otherwise. Might be harsh, but criminals never learn.

I'm new to this hobby, but is this thread for real or gross exaggeration? I have left my Amazon Kindle on the front seat repeatedly, and nothing happened. Seems a helluva lot more trouble to break in my trunk and steal my dual-12" Rockford Fossgate (which weigh 100x as much but cost same $). I have also left rare and hard to find Chinese books (out of print) and various imported metal CDs in plain view and no break-ins yet.

"Turn OFF your stereo about five minutes before you stop and park your car somewhere. Bumping your system in the mall parking lot as you look for a space to park may not seem like a big deal, but you have pretty much told every would-be thief in the area to "steal my stuff". Also, if you are in high school or college, NEVER turn on your system anywhere near campus."

What is the point of even having a stereo if you can't use it? I only travel more than 4 miles from my apartment once every week or two. Work and food all within 3-4 miles.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm new to this hobby, but is this thread for real or gross exaggeration? I have left my Amazon Kindle on the front seat repeatedly, and nothing happened. Seems a helluva lot more trouble to break in my trunk and steal my dual-12" Rockford Fossgate (which weigh 100x as much but cost same $). I have also left rare and hard to find Chinese books (out of print) and various imported metal CDs in plain view and no break-ins yet.
"Turn OFF your stereo about five minutes before you stop and park your car somewhere. Bumping your system in the mall parking lot as you look for a space to park may not seem like a big deal, but you have pretty much told every would-be thief in the area to "steal my stuff". Also, if you are in high school or college, NEVER turn on your system anywhere near campus."

What is the point of even having a stereo if you can't use it? I only travel more than 4 miles from my apartment once every week or two. Work and food all within 3-4 miles.
Then by all means, blast your stereo every waking minute of the day, but when you get jacked don't bother posting a thread on here because sympathy will not be had. Just because you haven't been broken into yet doesn't mean it will never happen. I had my window smashed and my flip-out dvd player ripped right from my dash however the entire system in the rear was untouched, meaning they had no idea I had anything of value in the back, they just happened to walk by and see my aftermarket HU. A lot depends on the area you live in but even rural areas have break ins.

I have been thinking about it for about a day now, and it seems to me most of these thieves must be retards. I thought of about 100 easier ways than breaking glass (which draws attention = higher chance of being busted)... for starters they can get a gym membership $10/mo. . . Take someone's car keys with remote off the key peg rack by the entry (it is nowhere near the check-in desk), just make sure it is someone who just came in and will be there a while, ... use the remote to unlock car, steal ****, put key back... You have about 30-60 mins to make your escape. If you get amps from the trunk, the person might not even notice until the next day if you are lucky since there is no broken glass or signs of theft.

Hell, half the people or more at the gym don't even lock their locker while they are working out.

I have been thinking about it for about a day now, and it seems to me most of these thieves must be retards. I thought of about 100 easier ways than breaking glass (which draws attention = higher chance of being busted)... for starters they can get a gym membership $10/mo. . . Take someone's car keys with remote off the key peg rack by the entry (it is nowhere near the check-in desk), just make sure it is someone who just came in and will be there a while, ... use the remote to unlock car, steal ****, put key back... You have about 30-60 mins to make your escape. If you get amps from the trunk, the person might not even notice until the next day if you are lucky since there is no broken glass or signs of theft.
Hell, half the people or more at the gym don't even lock their locker while they are working out.
Umm.....duh? No shit, you really think it's a bunch of guys with PHD's breaking into cars to jack audio systems? Most of the time, they are crimes of opportunity, i.e. like my example, some kid was probably casing my apartment complex and noticed my aftermarket HU and did a smash and grab. IIRC at least 2 other cars got similar treatment that same night. These aren't mastermind criminals who plan this stuff out in advance, they're just crackheads looking to make a few bucks.

But you can bet your ass if one of them notices you roll up into a parking lot slamming your system he's going to wait till you get out of the car and take you for everything you own...

Well with Hollywood constantly romanticizing heists like in Oceans 11, 12, 13... and no first-hand experience except a calculator being stolen while I was sleeping on a hall floor back in the glory days of highschool... you can't blame me for overestimating the caliber of minds behind this stuff... I had no idea :p

Don't forget misc stuff that will tip them off to better things. Headunit remotes, poorly placed bass knobs and aux cables come to mind.

Junkie-retard sees an aux cable sticking out of your radio? Good chance an ipod or whatever is hiding in the two most likely spots, if the owner didn't take it with them. GPS mounts, suction cup marks, chargers.

If your faceplate is detachable, take it with you. Thieves and the scum who buy from them are too lazy to track down a faceplate, so the radio isn't as likely of a target.

Anecodte. I was at a Best Buy and overheard a kid and his mom asking the guy if Best Buy carried just faceplates. Some little shit decided to take just the kid's faceplate when they couldn't get anything else useful. I believe his car was an f-body so I can only assume his door took maybe 6 seconds to unlock without notice.

Not that I am happy about what I did, but at one point in my life I ran a chop shop and use to "jack" cars on a regular basis. So, coming from someone extremely experience in this matter. A lot of this depends on where you live. This is a HUGE difference. This will separate the "boys" and the "men" of the car thieving realm.

I.E, we use to use tow trucks for vehicles we REALLY wanted, over in Turkey where my Aunt lives, they use Side "lifts" to pull them out of "tight" parking spots.

I will tell you this

Car alarm works with the following, really well. The time the thief is "delayed" from accessing the wires / horn etc etc is very very important.

Note:: 1 important thing not mentioned is if someone is able to slide under your car to the cut wires. This is done quite often also, however on my current vehicles this cant be done. They are to low to the ground and would need jacked up, however I have a proximity alarm that chirps when standing next to my car along with shock sensors ( rims ).

1) shaving your door locks makes them HAVE to go through a window ( great idea )

2) shaving you truck lock makes them use a crow bar or try to yank through the back seat ( great idea )

3) disable or hide hood latch inside ( VERY important ) cutting the battery / removing the horn was done by us regularly. ( must be done )

4) razor blades on the side of your HU and under your hood ( optional but I love it )

do those 3 ( maybe 4 ) and I guarantee you will stop 99.9% of a car thief unless the guy seriously wants it THAT bad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lot of good advice in here.

I'm not too extremely concerned with security for one specific reason though: I'm a cop. No one around here is stupid enough to steal my stuff.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...