Upgrading to bigger amps

I use 4 gauge back to my distribution blocks and then 4 gauge back to the amps. 10 gauge power/ground wire is useless so if anything swap it out to 4 gauge, and yes going to 1/0 is always better if you can afford to do it and as long as it is OFC of course. If you do that then do as you said 0 gauge back to the blocks then 4 gauge to the amps. But regardless get rid of the 10 gauge

Give your amp whatever the recommended gauge power wire it will take....and not anything smaller. My 4 ch amp I had took 4 gauge. Of course the bigger amp took 1/0 gauge. Typical for big mono sub amps for that type of gauge of wire.

Out of curiosity, did you ever have the Rubicons dyno'd or have any issues with them? I am pretty content with the output and they have not given me any problems. They do get a little hot after an hour or so. 
Nope. One of the ch on my 4 ch amp quit working. Have no idea why or how it happened. BigDWiz tested the 2500.1 Rubicon not long ago, black version but still same amp. Fell short of the 2.5k claim SS said it would do. You can find it on YouTube.

As I said before, I'm done with SS. Done with their cheapness, low quality internals. Inflated ratings. etc...Sold them earlier this year.

Can you guys give me any advice on an enclosure for my Sundown Audio SA12? Their site says 1 cube foot for sealed, 1.5-2 for ported. I listen to rock/alternative/rap so sealed may be the best bet, but if I can get more output if I sacrifice accuracy, I may be ok with it. Is there a happy medium? Currently in a 1 cube ft sealed. Is it safer to stay sealed if I am upping the wattage?

Last edited by a moderator:
I think it sounds great, but since getting it I've read that you are missing out if you don't go ported so I've been curious. 

In a sealed box it sounds awesome with any type of music. Currently running '1000' x 1 @ 1ohm...not sure how much power it's actually getting though. Curious how a Taramps 3000x1 will do with it.

Your missing out on a ported. Will be so much louder and is night and day with it vs. sealed. Once you do and if you do, you'll never go back. Use less power too compared to sealed.

I know your tight on space but just an idea for ya. What if you sold that 12 and use that $$ to buy a few 8's or single 10 and built a ported box for them? The bass would drastically improve over that sealed 12.

Ported will definitely hit harder and louder and with less power as others have said especially with rap. I only did sealed on my box because of space being needed otherwise I would do a ported box in a heartbeat. I agree with boomin on this do a couple 8" or go to a single 10" with ported if space is needed and at 1.5 cubic feet isn't that big of a box if you really think about it. @shredder2 would probably do give you a nice ported design that would work within your parameters if you asked him to.

Not looking to switch subs or my car, and yes space is an issue. It looks like an SA12 ported only needs 1.5-2.0 cubes? I may be able to pull that off. 

Is sealed 'healthier'? As it would prevent possible bottoming out with higher power?

I noticed 1-2 years ago that my sub makes a tapping sound on low notes. It sounds like a credit card tapping on a wood surface. No loss in bass. I think I posted here around that time and someone said I'd likely need a re-cone.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not looking to switch subs or my car, and yes space is an issue. It looks like an SA12 ported only needs 1.5-2.0 cubes? I may be able to pull that off. 

Is sealed 'healthier'? As it would prevent possible bottoming out with higher power?

I noticed 1-2 years ago that my sub makes a tapping sound on low notes. It sounds like a credit card tapping on a wood surface. No loss in bass. I think I posted here around that time and someone said I'd likely need a re-cone.
I would take your max measurements to work with and get with @shredder2 and see if he'd be willing to create/design a nice ported enclosure for ya. Use an aeroport or two will save on space too than traditional slot ported box.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.