03-06 Accord head unit install

Participant count
  • Participant list

low00ranger
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
USA
I have a friend that wants to install an aftermarket head unit in his '05 Accord. He would like to leave that entire stock radio and HVAC panel alone, which is understandable. I did some research here, and found there are 2 install kits that allow you to put a head unit in that cubby-hole area in front of the shifter. I would just like to verify that this is the correct install kit:

http://www.installer.com/item/display_item.php?it=99-7862

I'm also confused about how this setup with their wiring harness would work. Would the new CD player just function by itself - would you turn the stock radio off and have regular control with the new CD player? Would we have to leave the antenna plugged up to the stock radio and turn that deck on to listen to FM radio? How would this setup affect the stock radio/HVAC panel - will the stock radio still light up and display the temp controls, and would the stock radio push out sound through the stock speakers when he turns the volume up?

That kit is the correct one for the 03-06. It goes in place of the cubby storage (so the little flip door thats there right now will be removed to install this kit, the new stereo will be exposed and not concealed).

The harness to the factory radio can be disconnected and connected to the new radio, leaving the factory stereo un-useable, but all the climate controls intact. Connect the harness, antenna, and any RCA's to the new radio, just like you would if you were replacing the factory radio, its simple.

I didn't want to bother with the hassle, so I went with the JL Cleansweep, good sound and factory stereo is retained. JBL is releasing a really sweet OEM integration device, the MS-8, it might be worth looking at.

hey, i have an 03 accord. i have that dash kit installed in my car. when you purchase the kit, it should already come with a wire harness. the harness has 2 plugs. after you connect the wires from the aftermarket hu to the wire harness. you connect it to the cars adapter. then on the harness theres a wire that connects to the factory radio. that wire connects to the factory radio so that the a/c works and lights up. back of the aftermarket hu, you connect the antenna which you'll d/c from the factory unit. basically everything works on the factory unit except you'll get no sound. if you have anymore questions just pm me.

Thanks for the input guys. So Roy - if we hookup that 1 wire from the Metra harness to the stock radio, will the radio display the temperature like normal? Is this wire on the stock radio a single labeled wire, something we'll have to track down by trial and error, or what?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.