04 Pontiac Grand Prix radio install help

Ken448
10+ year member

Get off my lawn.
Southeast MI
Have a friend that wants a radio installed. After doing a light amount of research )(for a dash kit and harness) found that it is a little more involved than the average HU install. Anyone here have experience with them at all? I know the radio controls all of the chime's the car makes, and one site even referred to an air bag interface.. wth?

Blackbonnie on here did his. I believe the only thing you lose is steering wheel controls. Thats all I lost in my '99 GP. But as mentioned Blackbonnie has an '04.

Its actually pretty easy. you do need the special harness. I know metra's model's: The dash kit is a 99-3527 for a single din or a 95-3527 for a d-din. The wire harness is either a GMOS-01 which is non monsoon and but will retain onstar, or a GMRC-02 or XSVI-2003 which is non monsoon and non onstar. If it has the monsoon system you need the GMOS-04 which will integrate with onstar an the monsoon amp. Then you will need the Antenna adapter which is 40GM-10. The factory dash is easy, remove the cover around the key cylinder and the dash pops off.

i have an 07 grand prix and just did mine today. No need for the special harness unless you want to keep factory door chimes and beeps.

The only thing hard was I had to run the ignition switch of one of the fuses from the fuse box on the passanger side. I ran it to the radio/amp as you should run it to something that turns on and off along with the car. only problem i have is that it never shuts off on its own. I have to turn the radio off everytime i get out. If anyone know which i should run it off of that will turn it on/off on its own let me know. I tried several

radio/amp

Dashlights

And another one, all with no sucess.

But everything else is just like any other car. Hope this helps... and i hope someone knows the answer to my lil problem.

as for your problem.. You may have connected to the wrong fuse.. Maybe thats where the little box comes in handy, it allows you to program the delayed off feature, etc. If the fuse loses power when the ignition is off, then there is no reason for it to remain on.

Like i said I tried all the fuses that werent like airbag, etc... the car automatically will shut it off after x amount of time, but still, i have it to the radio/amp fuse and when i turn the car on it will reboot the radio but i can simply unlock my car hit the power on the radio and turn it on, no need for the key to be in. Good thing is when i power off the radio it turns the amps off etc... so its not draining my battery all day long.

I plan on getting that OS1 but its not on my to do list right now, i think i will hold off until i buy a DD nav system and i will trade/sell my kenwood excerlon 492 for it. Right now i have to worry about getting my door speakers and multichannel amp up and running.

If it has the monsoon system you need the GMOS-04 which will integrate with onstar an the monsoon amp. Then you will need the Antenna adapter which is 40GM-10.
So wait... I have an 08 gp, and i don't have the monsoon amp or onstar, so do I need the antenna adapter or is that only with the monsoon amp?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

Ken448

10+ year member
Get off my lawn.
Ken448
Southeast MI
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date