05 Mustang SQ + Low Weight Questions

nickk678
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
Hey guys,

Couple quick questions for you. To preface, here is my last SQ build thread: http://www.caraudio.com/forums/general-discussion/205495-build-car-ripped-shreads.html

I'm putting a system in my toy car - see below

I have a built motor and a Procharger D1 sitting in the garage, so let me start by saying I'm trying to balance speed and sound (aka keep weight down).

Going in to the vehicle (most from the thread above):

Pioneer AVIC-D3

Kicker SS6.5 Components

Kicker zx650.4

Kicker zx750.1

JL W6v2

I don't want to add 100 pounds of weight to the vehicle, so I'm trying to keep it as simple as possible. That being said, my questions are:

1) Do any of you have experience with the 05-09 Mustangs? How much to they rattle? Where do I need to put sound deadner? I'm not tearing out the headliner and floor like I did on my last build, but I don't want a **** load of rattling (both inside and out), so would like to know where to look. I have always used Raamat in the past. Anything better value out there nowadays? Where do I need to focus on in the Mustang?

2) I haven't found a definitive answer in all the research I have been doing on whether or not a 6.5" speaker will fit in the stock 6x8 location in the front doors. I want to use my Kicker SS's and will chop the metal on the doors if need be (as well as fabricate rings), but am curious if they will fit with no work.

3) On my last car (similar to the Mustang, 2 door non-hatchback), I didn't run rear speakers as the front fill sounded perfect with the glass work I did to mount my tweeters. Are these Mustangs similar? I don't want to do anything other than mount the SS components in the stock locations and leave it at that. Not the best for imaging I know, but I think the D3 has time alignment and I can cheat and compensate with that.

Thanks for any help you guys can provide.

Nick K.

Just a suggestions. You can probably get better components for the money. And as for the sub, why not get a 10 or an 8. Something like a DC level 2 or SA-8/10?

that should cover your bass needs well in a good box. Or a TC sounds 8, in a small sealed box. The JL just costs so much lol.

Just a suggestions. You can probably get better components for the money. And as for the sub, why not get a 10 or an 8. Something like a DC level 2 or SA-8/10?that should cover your bass needs well in a good box. Or a TC sounds 8, in a small sealed box. The JL just costs so much lol.
I already have the parts so I'm using them. Have already built a box as well that sits behind the passenger wheel well.

deadener helps any car by lowering resonance. but it adds weight. for the most damping and least weight, try Second Skin Damplifier, maybe see if Ant has some Lite leftover. to squelch rattles, use CCF foam like Ensolite (the stuff with a PSA works very well). you could just coat the panels and contact areas in foam and eliminate rattles with very little weight.

the most important thing to do to the doors is create a good seal between the front and back of the cone. sealing the holes with sheet metal is probably the lightest weight way to do that. more foam around the Kicker speakers to seal against the door panel.

basically, closed cell foam is your friend. 1/8" thick sheets.

Just a suggestions. You can probably get better components for the money. And as for the sub, why not get a 10 or an 8. Something like a DC level 2 or SA-8/10?that should cover your bass needs well in a good box. Or a TC sounds 8, in a small sealed box. The JL just costs so much lol.
shut up. kicker SS comps are really nice, (arent they the ones that come in the suit case?)

but id focus the deadener on the deck lid and rear quarter panels, and doors

shut up. kicker SS comps are really nice, (arent they the ones that come in the suit case?)
Yeah I think they are. For some reason I thought they were the 150$ set.

Deaden all u can. Buy stuff on the cheaper side like 2nd skin and fat mat. I think half price car audio even sells some cheap deadener. Thats where I'm prob gonna get mine. As for the mustang rattle. My friend had a sub in his 05 and the trunk didnt rattle terribly. Nothing could be heard from the inside but the outside it was obvious as soon as you got out the car.

You could get away with a 12 as long as you build small sealed, birch box. Wouldnt weigh much at all.

Just deaden and seal the doors. Id probably add some deadener to the rest of the car, too. The Damplifier Pro is the best deadener out there, but the Audio Technix isnt bad either... Just a good bit harder to work with. All deadener is heavy though. Sort of a necessary evil though if you want a quiet car.

As for components up front, as long as the doors are sealed, and the tweets are up high in the pillars or sail pannels (or even maybe in the top of the door pannel), you should be just fine without running rear speakers.

Hey guys,

Thanks for the responses. I will look into audiotechnix and see how I like their product. I would realllllllly love to hear from someone who has first hand experience with this type of car though. I want to know specifically where the low points are so I know where to focus.

Why are you worried about weight? It's a Mustang, it's not gonna go fast anyways.

lol, j/k

---------- Post added at 08:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:39 PM ----------

j/k about j/k'ing

check out sounddeadenershowdown.com and talk to Don there. He can guide you in the right direction with what you need. Using the right deadener for the right reason is better than just added weight. And if I was you, I'd put the audio in and listen and see if you actually need the deadening instead of going ahead and guessing.

Let me think of some problem areas in my car...

The dashboard. There is no padding under the dashboard and the dash cover will rub up against the AC vents. I recommend putting some closed cell foam under there. You can pull the instrument cluster to get to the vents on that side, but you need to pull the passenger side airbag to remove the center part of the dash. I still haven't finished foaming my dash, and I have some rattles that annoy me.

Next, I'd recommend putting some closed cell foam in the switches in your door panels. I used 1/4" foam to stop my window up/down switches from rattling due to the bass.

Another area to address will be your rear dash cover because that tends to resonate to the beat of the bass.

For products, SDS as mentioned above is a great place to get deadening tiles and closed cell foam from. Don will also answer any questions you may have.

Here is one of my prior build logs: http://www.caraudio.com/forums/car-audio-build-logs-cars-trucks-suvs/449813-2006-mustang-gt-shaker-500-replacement.html

Sadly, I have no current photos of how my trunk sits because it is in a temporary setup, yet again. I was hoping to start on amp rack #4 over the holiday weekend, but that hasn't gone too well thus far.

Lastly, you can PM me if you have any specific questions.

Why are you worried about weight? It's a Mustang, it's not gonna go fast anyways.

lol, j/k

---------- Post added at 08:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:39 PM ----------

j/k about j/k'ing
lol, I've been trying to source a crashed 2011 5.0 to slap in my 2006 GT... Sadly, they go for major bucks at auction. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif

Thanks for all the responses guys.

I'm very familiar with sounddeadnershowdown and made my decision on RaaMat previouslt based on that. I assumed I would dampen the doors with deadner and ensolite and maybe the decklid or parts of the rear of the vehicle. Gunz my last Mustang (also an 05) had the shaker500. The door trim panels were very annoying. I deadened the exact spots you mentioned. I left that system stock though, and I know I will find more rattle spots once I throw in the W6.

I am not going to run rear fill - going to pick up an active crossover and run my front stage active off the zx650.4 (any recommendations? Just need something cheap that works). This vehicle doesn't have the shaker500 (no subs in doors) so I'm just going to mount the tweeter on the midrange up high in the door and hope that sounds good. If not, I can fab something up to move the tweeters up in sail panel I suppose.

I'll post some pictures when I start working on the car this next weekend.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.