110k miles maintenance question

kentb
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
Las Vegas
i received my truck when it was about 85k.

right now its at 110k.

i do regular oil changes during that time.

at 75k the transmission fluid was changed

here is what i'm planning to do:

change spark plugs

change fuel filter

should i do:

coolant exchange? (i've only topped off the coolant, not replace it)

transmission fluid exchange again?

additional **** that SEARS suggested:

fuel system cleaning(3 part servce) $80

U got it pretty much all right... Just completely flush all the fluids first(you'd be surprised at the build up that can happen), change spark plugs, new air filter, basically all the things you've mentioned.

Ask them what the fuel system cleaning consists of exactly... Also try calling you local ford dealer(seems like u have an explorer) and ask what they would suggest doing.

I actually just got a tuneup as well. My car got 108k I changed all my filters, Sparkplugs and sereptine belts. I would suggest you change your belts as well. And timing belt

Depending on the vehicle, BALL JOINTS. I let mine go, and the shocks, and that **** started squeaking ridiculously loud one day
why replace the ball joints or anything else like that unless they are bad? I would not go for a fuel cleaning service at all. transmission fluid should be fine...im surprised it was changed before you got it, most people know nothing about the tranny filter and fluid...

all filters (air, fuel)

trans service

oil change

rear diff fluid change (assuming you got a diff)

might as well do the coolant

spark plugs (might as well do the wires with some good oem wires, unless you got coil on plug)

no ball joints etc, no need unless they are bad

****, get an alignment while you're at it and a tire rotation couldnt hurt

all filters (air, fuel)trans service

oil change

rear diff fluid change (assuming you got a diff)

might as well do the coolant

spark plugs (might as well do the wires with some good oem wires, unless you got coil on plug)

no ball joints etc, no need unless they are bad

****, get an alignment while you're at it and a tire rotation couldnt hurt
how much will a rear diff fluid change cost?

how much will a rear diff fluid change cost?
just do it yourself. its very simple.

1) if you have a diff with a drain and a fill plug, pop the fill plug first (nothing worse than draining the diff and then realizing you cant open the fill plug lulz), then pop the drain plug. then reinstall the drain plug and fill the diff with a good synthetic fluid (its been 5-10 buck and you will only need 1 most likely) until it starts to drip out of the fill hole (or whatever your vehicle mfg wants) then tighten.

if you dont have a drain plug

2)loosen the lowest bolts first, pry up on the diff cover let it drain, then pop off all the other bolts, pull the cover off, clean the mating surfaces using a razor or gasket cleaning tool if you got it, apply a good sealant or gasket (whatever the mfg uses) and fill with fluid.

simple, quick and easy.

***it is very important to also fill up with a friction modifier IF your mfg calls for it. for example, fords with limited slip need regular diff fluid AND a friction modifier, or you can do some damage. if its a regular diff, you wont need it unless the mfg still wants it in there***

just do it yourself. its very simple.
1) if you have a diff with a drain and a fill plug, pop the fill plug first (nothing worse than draining the diff and then realizing you cant open the fill plug lulz), then pop the drain plug. then reinstall the drain plug and fill the diff with a good synthetic fluid (its been 5-10 buck and you will only need 1 most likely) until it starts to drip out of the fill hole (or whatever your vehicle mfg wants) then tighten.

if you dont have a drain plug

2)loosen the lowest bolts first, pry up on the diff cover let it drain, then pop off all the other bolts, pull the cover off, clean the mating surfaces using a razor or gasket cleaning tool if you got it, apply a good sealant or gasket (whatever the mfg uses) and fill with fluid.

simple, quick and easy.

***it is very important to also fill up with a friction modifier IF your mfg calls for it. for example, fords with limited slip need regular diff fluid AND a friction modifier, or you can do some damage. if its a regular diff, you wont need it unless the mfg still wants it in there***
this...lol

What kind of tranny fluid change did you do? If it was a flush, no need to do it again. I'd go with dropping the pan and cleaning it while replacing just the fluid in there every 15 thousand miles or so then another flush every 40-50 thousand miles. Wouldn't hurt to replace coolant if you haven't done it in 25K. Have a Ford dealer or qualified mechanic test for things like ball joints, tie rods, etc... so you can get an idea of what in the front end may need replacing soon. I wouldn't have Sears look for things like this.

I would not use Sears for maintenance advice, they're pretty much there to swap your tires out and change your oil and coolant, not to give good advice on what should be done. Invest in a good shop manual for your truck that will tell you what the normal service life and maintenance intervals are on various items.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.