15" RD HW vs. 15" HDC3

cuz a wall socket is not enough power and it is in a higher frequency range so it is very efficient power. a wallsocket shouldnt do any damage to any half decent subwoofer that is built to take power.
Thermally it is actually going to be quite hard on a woofer due to the small amount of movement - movement generates the air flow that cools down the coil.

That is, as long as you have the sub wired to a fairly low load to get some good power going to it - say, around 2 ohms DCR or so. For example - in another thread I hooked my Monster sub up to the socket at 2.2 DCR and got 19.4 amps which is 2328 watts with 120 volts. It was only moving around 1/2" or so... maybe 3/4" tops.

So - mechanically speaking, you are totally right - generally at 60 Hz at sub isn't going to move all that far... about 1/4 as far as it would at 30 Hz. Should be able to at least burp most relatively stiff subs on the wall socket with no problem //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Now - leave many subs, even relatively beefy subs, on the socket for 30-60 seconds (provided, again, they are fairly low) and you have a burnt coil! Some of the newer subs coming out, though, have enough voice coil cooling to keep running for quite a while (like in my aforementioned video).

i did a 158.1 playing reg music for a 30 sec average. this was my 2nd run score playing back to back music. anyone who has done sb knows this is almost crazy to do. heat...ect... didnt have ZERO problems. the cones were barly warm. when we stuck the aq in the other car. he had 2-m3's strapped at .5 on 1-10 and it still played reg music! still no problems.

you also gotta remember that music/daily you dont get as much power out of the same amp as you do on a burp. given you have same electrical system in both cases.

which makes the musical scores even more impressive.

the a way a sub will behave with high powered burps will give a solid indication on how it will act with music.

when i ran atomics, it would fly apart durring the burps and it would also fly apart the same way when i hammered them with music.

Bottom line, They both make a good product, will both fill your needs. Look at what you need, compare all the data for your application and make a decesion. We have had are best results with what we run, others with what they run. Thats why we have options.

when i ran atomics, it would fly apart durring the burps and it would also fly apart the same way when i hammered them with music.
Just out of curiosity - what model, how much power, and what broke ?

I am just wondering - you can PM if you want //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Just out of curiosity - what model, how much power, and what broke ?
APX 10's and 12's. burping they probably got about 2500 each. Musically they had probably 1800 each.

on the 10's the surrounds would tear apart and spiders would let go. on the 12's the coils/former would shoot thru the dust cap.

and this didnt happen to one or two of them. this happend to every single 10 i had and all but one 12 lol. terrible product quality and design.

and no im not a total idiot who doesnt know how to use speakers. i've put DD and AQ's thru exactly the same use/abuse and had no failures.

I know you are an experienced competitor - I was really just curious what was happening //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

So you think it was probably insufficient glue on the triple joint and spiders ?

this is whats going in mine for daily...

P1160771.jpg

P1160772.jpg

P1160773.jpg

enjoy

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

da box king

10+ year member
CarAudio.com Veteran
da box king
Portland, MI
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date