1500rms 1 Ohm stable amp that is not harsh on electrical system

NinjaBass

Low Bass Lover
North AL
Hey guys I am new to the forum with this being my first time posting and I could really use some help. I am looking into purchasing 2 Sundown Audio E-15D4 and trying to find a 1500rms 1 Ohm stable amp that does rated power without putting to much strain on my electrical system. I have looked into a couple such as the Rockford Fosgate T1000-1bdcp and MBQUART ONX1.1500D with my price range to spend on an amp being $300 max

My current setup is 2 P3d4 12 inch subs with a Hifonics Brutus 1200.1D amp

1999 Honda Accord stock 105amp alternator with big 3 and Kinetik HC800 as a second battery

At full tilt my voltage does not drop under 13.2 or 13.4 volts

The Brutus 1200.1d that I have now has been a good amplifier for the money, but I just feel as if it needs a lot of voltage to perform

I hear that Sundown sub woofers are very underrated so would these 2 E-15D4 be able to handle 1500rms okay?

Thanks for your time and any feedback is greatly appreciated.

I've got an MB Quart ONX1.1000D on 2 E8V3's running at 750 watts set by a DMM and a PPI BK800.4 running my front stage off stock electrical (145 amp stock alternator and new battery) and my voltmeter shows no significant drops. I'd say MB Quart would be a good route to go, since they're pretty efficient class D's, and are very similar to your Hifonics, being a maxxsonics product.

The E15's are rated at 400 watts RMS. They can, when broken in, handle around 600ish RMS of clean power, more or less depending on the box they're in.

Hope I helped.

Thanks for your reply

The box the E-15s would be going in is ported at 32hz with 3.2 cubic ft. Per chamber

I have heard of people putting up to 800rms on one but not to sure for how long or their box specs.

I have read many good reviews about the MB Quart ONX1.1500 and they a cheaper than RF amps, but what do u think when comparing them to the Brutus amps? As they are made by the same people I was wondering if the ONX line would be any better.

The Brutus 1200 has two 70 amp fuses and the ONX1.1500 also has two 70 amp fuses. Do you have any input on that?

I owned a mbquart 1100 or 1200 watt class D, I cant remember. very solid amplifier.

I blew it because apparently you have to have a speaker hooked up when its on. I was running without a subwoofer while I figured out a new box design and build. It took about a month or 2 to get hot enough to blow but definitely something I wasn't expecting.

Thanks for your reply
The box the E-15s would be going in is ported at 32hz with 3.2 cubic ft. Per chamber

I have heard of people putting up to 800rms on one but not to sure for how long or their box specs.

I have read many good reviews about the MB Quart ONX1.1500 and they a cheaper than RF amps, but what do u think when comparing them to the Brutus amps? As they are made by the same people I was wondering if the ONX line would be any better.

The Brutus 1200 has two 70 amp fuses and the ONX1.1500 also has two 70 amp fuses. Do you have any input on that?
That box, since it's on the smaller side of the recommendation from Sundown, should make it so you can put more power to the speaker before reaching maximum excursion, so you'd be more thermally limited than mechanically, which means more power can be fed to it. 800 doesn't sound too far out of reasonable expectation for these speakers, but between 600-800 watts, you shouldn't notice too much difference in how loud they are.

As far as Brutus amps go, I had a 600 watt Hifonics Brutus amp for an old Alpine Type-S, and it seemed to put out under rated power, while my ONX1.1000D puts out more than rated power. They may have similar internals, but MB Quart seems to be the higher end in the maxxsonics products, over Hifonics. I personally can't speak for the fuses, as I really don't have the technical knowledge, but in my opinion, which could be wrong, the ONX would be far better to power the subwoofers because you can keep the gains lower and get more clean signal without straining your amplifier and electrical.

If you have any questions that I can answer, I'd love to help more if my own personal knowledge lets me.

Your Brutus would work fine on the E's. You wouldn't hear a real difference from 1200-1500 anyway. I just don't think it's worth it for a few hundred more watts to be harder on your electrical and harder on the subs. You're going to be quite bit a louder than the p3's just by cone area alone anyway which seems to be your goal.

Well if I did just stay with a 1200 I think I would still like to upgrade to a better 1200 amp. Any recommendation? And would it be better to go with the two E-15s in the box I said earlier or just do a single 15 in a big box? What would be louder? This will be my first setup using 15's so not sure what is better.

Thanks again for all the help

Each one of your E-15's should have between 3-4 cubic feet of volume after displacement, as recommended by sundown. The lower you go in that range, the more power you can feed it. The higher, the more excursion at lower power. If you only have a maximum of 4 cubic feet, go with 1 sub. If you have between 6-8, go with 2. If it's within your price range, a single SA-15 as well as a single ZV4 can do extremely well in a 3 cubic foot ported box at around 35Hz, but if you're trying to be as loud as possible, remember that cone area is king, and 2 15's will be louder 9 times out of 10, than a single 15.

Personally, I'd go with an SA-15 if your space is limited as such, or stick with your original 2 E-15's if you have the space for the box. Your Hifonics amp should be just fine for a single SA-15, however.

Each one of your E-15's should have between 3-4 cubic feet of volume after displacement, as recommended by sundown. The lower you go in that range, the more power you can feed it. The higher, the more excursion at lower power. If you only have a maximum of 4 cubic feet, go with 1 sub. If you have between 6-8, go with 2. If it's within your price range, a single SA-15 as well as a single ZV4 can do extremely well in a 3 cubic foot ported box at around 35Hz, but if you're trying to be as loud as possible, remember that cone area is king, and 2 15's will be louder 9 times out of 10, than a single 15.
Personally, I'd go with an SA-15 if your space is limited as such, or stick with your original 2 E-15's if you have the space for the box. Your Hifonics amp should be just fine for a single SA-15, however.
agreed,

starving subwoofers for air is about the worst thing you could do for SQ. You might be able to put up high numbers but not in the 30-40hz range which is where bass sounds cool to me

I can fit a box in my trunk for two 15's with 3.2 cubic ft. Per sub and that is the biggest box that would fit. So would that be good amount of space for each 15? And I am mainly just going for as loud as possible. I know the Brutus can get the job done I just figured a better amp would do much better and produce cleaner power

I can fit a box in my trunk for two 15's with 3.2 cubic ft. Per sub and that is the biggest box that would fit. So would that be good amount of space for each 15? And I am mainly just going for as loud as possible. I know the Brutus can get the job done I just figured a better amp would do much better and produce cleaner power
Go with the 2 E-15's since you have the space. Are you chasing numbers, or just trying for loud to the ear? Between 1200 and 1500 watts there's not a huge audible difference, but there may be a few inaudible decibels that you're gaining with more wattage. Clean power is the only power you want though, so if you want to run 1200 watts off your Brutus, which is a SLIGHTLY overrated amp, you may be introducing distortion at full tilt, in which case I'd certainly put a cleaner, more powerful amp on there and set the gains with a DMM or an oscilloscope.

You may have enough room for 3.2 cubic feet, but you also have to account for port volume and driver displacement, so don't forget to include those. Make sure your port area is large enough to not introduce chuffing as well. You'd probably want to hack your head off hearing too much port noise from 2 15's. I know I would!

Yeah the box is already built and its 3.2 per sub including the port and its tunes at around 32hz so the port is pretty big. What would you recommend for a good 1200 rms amp ? I know my Brutus is not putting out 1200 especially since my voltage drops to around 13.4 and it does distort and full tilt. I am getting around 1000rms out of it

As Caveivian said, the SAX1200 is your best bet. If it's out of your price range, though, here's a few for you that can produce the clean power at an affordable range:

Precision Power PPI BK1800.1D (BK18001D) 1800W RMS Mono Class D Black Ice Car Amp

Hifonics BRX2000.1D 2000W RMS Class D Monoblock Brutus Series Amp

MB Quart RA1500.1 1500W 1-Channel Monoblock Referece Series Amp

MB Quart ONX1.2000D - ONYX Class D Monoblock Car Amplifier/Amp

https://www.woofersetc.com/p-10675-p11500d-soundstream-monoblock-class-d-picasso-series-amplifier.aspx

You'd be happy with any of these. Personally, I'm a fan of the PPI and the MB Quarts. Your choice though. They'll all perform quite well for your power requirements.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.