15v-16v spike and protect help

Participant count
  • Participant list

LetMyBeatPound

CarAudio.com Exclusive
I finally got my system all hooked up and proper.
2 X18v2s
Salt4k
Taramps DS800.4
PRV Tweets, 6" and 8" mids
Ton of 2/0 ofc welding
3x New AGM 320ah total

When playing pretty loud, certain songs turn my amp off. Just the Salt, I've noticed I'm seeing 15.4-.15.8v spikes when these happen is when the amp cuts off. VM is at the amp, so I'm not sure if it's internal or coming from the alt. My 4ch doesn't turn off or go into protect tho. I've been over all the wiring 15times, gone over it with a DMM... I though it was the DC offset protection circuit, thought it might have been the gain knob, but I'm not sure. Sundown is sending me a new knob and cord to see if that helps because my knob keeps coming undone at the amp. But I'm am trying to figure out if I need to get my Excessive Amperage HO alt services or send the amp in for a warranty check. Any advice would be appreciate.

Thanks in advance.

I finally got my system all hooked up and proper.
2 X18v2s
Salt4k
Taramps DS800.4
PRV Tweets, 6" and 8" mids
Ton of 2/0 ofc welding
3x New AGM 320ah total

When playing pretty loud, certain songs turn my amp off. Just the Salt, I've noticed I'm seeing 15.4-.15.8v spikes when these happen is when the amp cuts off. VM is at the amp, so I'm not sure if it's internal or coming from the alt. My 4ch doesn't turn off or go into protect tho. I've been over all the wiring 15times, gone over it with a DMM... I though it was the DC offset protection circuit, thought it might have been the gain knob, but I'm not sure. Sundown is sending me a new knob and cord to see if that helps because my knob keeps coming undone at the amp. But I'm am trying to figure out if I need to get my Excessive Amperage HO alt services or send the amp in for a warranty check. Any advice would be appreciate.

Thanks in advance.

Seems like an issue for your alternator setup's mechanic. The only other way you're going to get spikes like that are if you've introduced relays into the system or your batteries aren't 12v. The alternator system relies on the internal resistance of the batteries to stop charging. Spikes are usually caused by reverse bias coils, so like solenoids/relays. Other than that high voltage is usually caused by alternator issues, 15.8v is dangerous territory.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.