2 8s vs vs 1 10 vs 1 12

jboy2015

Senior VIP Member
Socal
Long time lurker checking in

Looking to get a sub and amp in my Single Cab Ram 1500. Currently running off stock HU with jl cxi350s in the dash and 4 rockford P1692 (6x9).

I went to a local shop yesterday and they advised that with a jl12w6 that there would be too much bass in the truck and i wouldnt really be able to hear my speakers.

They demo'd 2 8" jlW3's ported and i liked the volume but not the tightness. What difference would i achieve with a jl 12w6 sealed powered by a 600/1 amp?

Thanks in advance!

I'm in the South Bay. I was able to get a hold of a jl12w6 new for a sick price. Is a 12 what I'm looking for if 2 8s were too tight for my liking? They sounded good volume wise without Amped speakers.

I still want it to sound good at low/mid volumes, if that makes sense. Still need an amp(s) and a box too.

You have a shop?? Thanks man.

I'm in the South Bay. I was able to get a hold of a jl12w6 new for a sick price. Is a 12 what I'm looking for if 2 8s were too tight for my liking? They sounded good volume wise without Amped speakers.I still want it to sound good at low/mid volumes, if that makes sense. Still need an amp(s) and a box too.

You have a shop?? Thanks man.
how much $$$ is a sick deal? Do you want rumbling lows or do you want punchy midbass out of your woofers? Good at low volumes is mainly having proper output and sound with adequate power. No shop, just helping you find out what you want and how to get there.

how much $$$ is a sick deal? Do you want rumbling lows or do you want punchy midbass out of your woofers? Good at low volumes is mainly having proper output and sound with adequate power. No shop, just helping you find out what you want and how to get there.
In addition to my previous post : I appreciate the advice!!

[quote name='jboy2015']$300 with warranty. I'd like something in between the two, but if had to choose one it'd be deep lows[/QUOTE]

you will either want a big sealed box or a custom ported box. The shop most likely had it in a crappy premade box tuned too high, thats why it sounded overly punchy up top. A proper box will give you the deep bass, sound quality and bump you want. Hit up @C1500martin with a private message, meet up and demo his system, he is local to you. He has a W6 in his truck and a tantric MD 12 in his mazda trunk. A sub will sound different from a test wall compared to a car environment.

You know your stuff, the shop had it in a premade JL box, BUT they did bring it into my truck and balanced it while we both played the same radio station, so I did get to hear it in my truck. Can you recommend any shops in particular that know how to build a good custom box?

If there was a rep system on the forum, I'd rep af. Thanks again man

[quote name='jboy2015']You know your stuff, the shop had it in a premade JL box, BUT they did bring it into my truck and balanced it while we both played the same radio station, so I did get to hear it in my truck. Can you recommend any shops in particular that know how to build a good custom box?
If there was a rep system on the forum, I'd rep af. Thanks again man[/QUOTE]

You can shop around but most shops charge 300$+ for a custom box thats really plain and underwhelming

You can hit up Chris aka @CSCStang he is local at lake forest and he can build the box and do the install for you too at a fraction of what the shops charge.
Some pics of his work
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Cscstang-customs/544782418996602?sk=photos_stream

His work is straight up art. Ill be hitting him up for sure. Thanks guys for referring him!

If this sub doesnt work for me i might just end up getting a sundown 10. Soo many **** options in this audio game! But thats what keep it interesting i suppose

His work is straight up art. Ill be hitting him up for sure. Thanks guys for referring him!If this sub doesnt work for me i might just end up getting a sundown 10. Soo many **** options in this audio game! But thats what keep it interesting i suppose
You have one of the top SQ subs. Why would you want a SA 10?

His work is straight up art. Ill be hitting him up for sure. Thanks guys for referring him!If this sub doesnt work for me i might just end up getting a sundown 10. Soo many **** options in this audio game! But thats what keep it interesting i suppose
yea it was a headache deciding what to put in the truck, i swapped my seats to buckets and have no center console, this is what my 12w6v3 box looks like. also built by Chris (CSCStang)

http://www.caraudio.com/forums/enclosure-design-construction-help/615120-l-wedge-singlecab-box.html

oh and yea the sop is right though this thing actually puts out and since you'll be literally next to it like me, you'll need some decent speakers. I'm giving mine 150w and it drowns them out. but then again my choice wasn't really a set of components that get loud.

You have one of the top SQ subs. Why would you want a SA 10?
I have yet to experience the sub, the sundown was a not too distant second on my list due to its entry level price point and the endorse sundown receives on this site. It's a BIG if now that I actually have the jl.

I have yet to experience the sub, the sundown was a not too distant second on my list due to its entry level price point and the endorse sundown receives on this site. It's a BIG if now that I actually have the jl.
Don't let the fanboys talk you into downgrading. Your sub has records.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

jboy2015

Senior VIP Member
jboy2015
Socal
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date
Last reply from