2 kicker 12's or 1 15

Participant count
  • Participant list

Savackz

CarAudio.com Elite
GA
I am upgrading soon and I already have a Kicker 40CWD124 CompD Series 12" subwoofer with dual 4-ohm voice coils at Crutchfield.com

I am going to get a more powerful amp, I have a http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/products/details/r250x1 that a friend let me borrow. I am going to upgrade that probably to a 1200W amp (Q1-1200D Amplifier ) but am debating: Should I get another Kicker identical to mine or get Dayton Audio UM15-22 15" Ultimax DVC Subwoofer 2 ohms Per Coil ? I listen to mostly rap (3005 and OG Bobby Johnson are my favorite songs) and I am ordering a custom box according to what I get. My budget is around 350 or maybe 400 just for the subs and the amp, but don't have to spend that.

Post on this or PM for further suggestions and advise.

I am upgrading soon and I already have a Kicker 40CWD124 CompD Series 12" subwoofer with dual 4-ohm voice coils at Crutchfield.com
I am going to get a more powerful amp, I have a PRIME Amplifiers - R250X1 - Rockford Fosgate® that a friend let me borrow. I am going to upgrade that probably to a 1200W amp (Q1-1200D Amplifier ) but am debating: Should I get another Kicker identical to mine or get Dayton Audio UM15-22 15" Ultimax DVC Subwoofer 2 ohms Per Coil ? I listen to mostly rap (3005 and OG Bobby Johnson are my favorite songs) and I am ordering a custom box according to what I get. My budget is around 350 or maybe 400 just for the subs and the amp, but don't have to spend that.

Post on this or PM for further suggestions and advise.
hold out on what you are buying, There's gonna be sales soon on black friday.

HDS300 Bundle This is your best option man 389" for a 15" D2 sub along with an amp and some sound proofing materials. It'll only get cheaper when black friday hits.

hold out on what you are buying, There's gonna be sales soon on black friday.
HDS300 Bundle This is your best option man 389" for a 15" D2 sub along with an amp and some sound proofing materials. It'll only get cheaper when black friday hits.
I wasn't going to order them now, I am just seeing if the 2 12's or 1 15 would be better for the bass quality and sound.

Definitely don't get another kicker. You're doing it right on the amp. Stick with that.

What are you wanting? Are you wanting to stick with 2 12's or 1 beefy 12 or 15? With $400 budget you can get two hdcs12's for that price, or something like a Fi BL 12 for $400 if you're wanting 1 beefy 12.

Definitely don't get another kicker. You're doing it right on the amp. Stick with that.
What are you wanting? Are you wanting to stick with 2 12's or 1 beefy 12 or 15? With $400 budget you can get two hdcs12's for that price, or something like a Fi BL 12 for $400 if you're wanting 1 beefy 12.
I mean. I was going to get 2 10s. But then told to get 1 15. I really like bass, like a lot. THey're so many options, I am not sure. I haven't heard 1 15 before or 2 12's before so I can't say much.

I wasn't going to order them now, I am just seeing if the 2 12's or 1 15 would be better for the bass quality and sound.
trash the kicker idea lol. 12s and 15s only differ in loudness not sound quality, you get whatever fits the size of your car the most. Sound quality is all in the box and quality of the woofer which kicker is not known for. That dayton ultimax is a good choice for SQ purposes, so are TC sounds epic subs and are forgiving on the box design. Soundqubed subs are enclosure dependant meaning they can be molded to get loud or sound good depending on the box.

I mean. I was going to get 2 10s. But then told to get 1 15. I really like bass, like a lot. THey're so many options, I am not sure. I haven't heard 1 15 before or 2 12's before so I can't say much.
It depends on the woofer.. Sometimes 1 12" sounds better than 1 15".. Sometimes 2 12"s sound beter.. It all depends on the box built.. The box is pretty much everything in terms of 'bass'. 2 12's is going to be louder due to the fact of 24" of cone area vs 15. grab you 2 12's tune it to a low freq. and you'll be satisfied. You can't go wrong with Soundqubed. They have great subs for the price.

I have the room in a 1999 4runner so size isn't an issue. I am getting a custom made box so that's flexible, I was thinking around 3.5 cubic feet but not stuck on that.

trash the kicker idea lol. 12s and 15s only differ in loudness not sound quality, you get whatever fits the size of your car the most. Sound quality is all in the box and quality of the woofer which kicker is not known for. That dayton ultimax is a good choice for SQ purposes, so are TC sounds epic subs and are forgiving on the box design. Soundqubed subs are enclosure dependant meaning they can be molded to get loud or sound good depending on the box.
Right, listen to this guy. He knows what hes talking about.

There are many factors to consider when comparing subs, but the only surefire thing you have to go on is that 2 12"s have a cone area of 226 square inches, while 1 15" has 176". If you stick them in the appropriate boxes on the same power and they're they have the same materials from the same company, the 2 12"s should move more air and be a bit louder.

However, there are a ton of other factors to consider, like build quality, power handling, box size and type, motor size, and a spreadsheet of specs I don't fully comprehend. A high end 10" with a proper setup can easily outperform a 15".

Jeffdachef's got the right idea. SQ sounds are supposed to be extremely good at the price range, and the HDS300 can take 1200W RMS. One beefy sub in the right sized ported box tuned low should blow away either Kicker configuration.

There are many factors to consider when comparing subs, but the only surefire thing you have to go on is that 2 12"s have a cone area of 226 square inches, while 1 15" has 176". If you stick them in the appropriate boxes on the same power and they're they have the same materials from the same company, the 2 12"s should move more air and be a bit louder.
However, there are a ton of other factors to consider, like build quality, power handling, box size and type, motor size, and a spreadsheet of specs I don't fully comprehend. A high end 10" with a proper setup can easily outperform a 15".

Jeffdachef's got the right idea. SQ sounds are supposed to be extremely good at the price range, and the HDS300 can take 1200W RMS. One beefy sub in the right sized ported box tuned low should blow away either Kicker configuration.
So you think that bundle with the right box will satisfy what I want? But as 2 12's or 1 15? I don't want to like rattle the outside of my car.

So you think that bundle with the right box will satisfy what I want? But as 2 12's or 1 15? I don't want to like rattle the outside of my car.
If you've got that one Kicker sub, the HDS300 is going to be a lot, lot louder; it takes 4x the power. I think it should be more than enough, maybe too much, even.

Rattles are inevitable with a powerful sub. If you want to reduce them, look into CLD tiles. You slap them on vibrating panels in your car to reduce the rattles. sounddeadenershowdown.com has more information on the process and science behind it.

Maybe go with something half the power, get half the amp, and if it's rattling invest in some CLD to improve the sound and keep the rattles being heard inside and out.

Edit: I just saw the bundles come with some Q-Mat CLD, so that's a good start. The trunk lid is going to be the biggest culprit, especially in a sedan or coupe. The included tiles should help that area. The HDS200 bundle might be a better option and you can save some money, but personally I'd just go with the HDS300 bundle and turn it down if it's too much.

If you've got that one Kicker sub, the HDS300 is going to be a lot, lot louder; it takes 4x the power. I think it should be more than enough, maybe too much, even.
Rattles are inevitable with a powerful sub. If you want to reduce them, look into CLD tiles. You slap them on vibrating panels in your car to reduce the rattles. sounddeadenershowdown.com has more information on the process and science behind it.

Maybe go with something half the power, get half the amp, and if it's rattling invest in some CLD to improve the sound and keep the rattles being heard inside and out.
Or he can just turn the sub level down lol. Good sub SQ blends can be achieved by just turning down the sub level along with rattle control. I'd rather have a sub I can bump hard anytime to impress while most of the time, it will just sit on its lazy butt barely working rather than having a sub thats working hard all the times just to keep up.

Or he can just turn the sub level down lol. Good sub SQ blends can be achieved by just turning down the sub level along with rattle control. I'd rather have a sub I can turn on anytime to impress and for the majority of the times, it can just sit on its lazy butt barely working rather than having a sub thats working hard all the times just to keep up.
I am getting rid of the kicker. I haven't messed with gain or anything so I don't know if I just need to order a multimeter and mess with it. And I was being sarcastic about the rattling, I guess no one caught on //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/frown.gif.a3531fa0534503350665a1e957861287.gif

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.