2 ohm components to 4 ohm amp

Bcmonks
10+ year member

A while ago my two front 6.5" component speakers blew and I was going to purchase some JBL p660c 6.5" components to replace them, but I noticed that they are 2 ohm speakers. I own a Precision Power ppi BA1600.4, which is 4 ohm, and I wondering if my amp would be able to hook up to the JBL P660c speakers and some 6x9 speakers I have in the rear which are 4 ohm. I've never dealt with 2 ohm speakers before so i'm not sure if there is something I need to use them.

You can do that.. The amp will run the 4 ohms at 4 ohms and the 2 ohms at 2 ohms. The only issue is the peak power the map provides. As long as the peak wattage is enough to run all 4 speakers at their max rms you're gtg.

You can do that.. The amp will run the 4 ohms at 4 ohms and the 2 ohms at 2 ohms. The only issue is the peak power the map provides. As long as the peak wattage is enough to run all 4 speakers at their max rms you're gtg.
Thankyou, sorry that was probably a dumb question, I just wanted to make sure before I actually buy the speakers.

Thankyou, sorry that was probably a dumb question, I just wanted to make sure before I actually buy the speakers.
Just remember that peak wattage is useless. Most a4 channel amps are two ohm stable, as long as you're not bridging them.

Your amp does 200w rms per channel at 2ohm and 130w rms at 4ohm. The jbl speakers are 90w rms each, so your amp will provide more than enough power so make sure you tune it correctly so you dont blow them as well.

Your amp does 200w rms per channel at 2ohm and 130w rms at 4ohm. The jbl speakers are 90w rms each, so your amp will provide more than enough power so make sure you tune it correctly so you dont blow them as well.
When I set the gain with a multimeter, do I use the rms of the amp channel, or the rms of the speaker for that channel?

The power over rms is not an issue considering you will be highpassing them. You can give them 2oo+ watts a side if highpassed at 80z and theyd be fine.

But to simplify, not an issue at all.

The power over rms is not an issue considering you will be highpassing them. You can give them 2oo+ watts a side if highpassed at 80z and theyd be fine.
But to simplify, not an issue at all.
Sorry for the thread jack.

I have hertz hsk 165 and a fosgate 500a2

filter goes from 50Hz - 210Hz.

Where should I set my filter at on high pass

Sorry for the thread jack.I have hertz hsk 165 and a fosgate 500a2

filter goes from 50Hz - 210Hz.

Where should I set my filter at on high pass
You can start at 80 hz and move it up or down according to how much bass you want coming out of them. If you want no bass from the speakers at all, go alittle higher like 120 hz.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.