2 Sundown sa 12s Ported enclosure design help!

Participant count
  • Participant list

mike12

So i recently got a bc2000d amp to power two sundown sa12s and my current box isnt cutting it. I have a 2011 ford focus ses. I wold like to stick with a sealed off trunk design with subs and ports facing into the car. Types of music i like is pretty wide i listen to rock, metal, new pop and stuff, stuff like that but i also like to pound to some rap and make **** shake. I currently have a box thats around 34"wide roughly 16"x16" depth and height with two 4 inch aeroports around 12" in length facing foward along with the subs and sealed off to the trunk. if anyone could give me some tips, suggestions, or box designs to make these things perform their best id greatly appreciate it! I plan on using Birch plywood and most likely go with a slotted port rather than the aeroports, i really dont know too much about box designs. Thanks!

they dont seem to be as loud as they should and ive messed with the tuning on the amp and headunit, electrical is good, ive had a couple local shops look at it and they said it seems to be fine and checked gains using an o scope, but most of them say it doesn't seem as loud as sa12s should get and i have to agree, before i had 2 rockford p3s in the same box and they sounded just as loud as these do with less power

Was the last setup facing into the cabin or was it firing off the rear. Ive never had luck sealing enclosures off running small power. Only one that did was the box i had that was subs forwards port firing to the side. The rest were higher powered setups sealed running 4k.

its tuned right around 36 hz it plays the loudest, and it currently is firing into the cabin
Then yes. Anything below tuning frequencies will have no pressure on the subs and thus youll have huge amounts of movement. However spl drops drastically below tuning.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk

I plan on making a new enclosure regardless. I want to make it out of birch instead of mdf with flush mount baffle. Also would like to try out a slotted port vs a aeroport but i guess it doesnt matter. As far as the tuning goes i want it to be good for playing mostly music like rock/metal stuff and rap. if anyone could point me in the right direction on box design that would be helpful i have 38x17x17 space max. and have a bc200d amp with big3, kinetik2400, stock 150a alt in a 2011 for focus ses sedan to give you guys an idea on the power and car. thank you guys for your help!!!

I plan on making a new enclosure regardless. I want to make it out of birch instead of mdf with flush mount baffle. Also would like to try out a slotted port vs a aeroport but i guess it doesnt matter. As far as the tuning goes i want it to be good for playing mostly music like rock/metal stuff and rap. if anyone could point me in the right direction on box design that would be helpful i have 38x17x17 space max. and have a bc200d amp with big3, kinetik2400, stock 150a alt in a 2011 for focus ses sedan to give you guys an idea on the power and car. thank you guys for your help!!!
Ever thought about running a sealed enclosure? is SPL the goal?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.