2x12”subs ~200RMS EACH (Zapco reference 500.1)

todj
10+ year member

Mr. Knowledge
Reno, NV
I am looking to replace my 2 12” IDMAX’s. I love them but am looking for an alternative because I don’t like the new v4’s and one of my V3’s already needs a recone. They did last me years of enjoyment though. These really are great subs. Any suggestions? I need something ultra efficient and SQL oriented. I want an IDMAX from a different company (not an ARC).

Zapco Reference 500.1 amp specs:

Mono, 4 ohms: 1 x 360 Watts

Mono, 2 ohms: 1 x 500 Watts

T.H.D. + Noise:

ONLY 2 ohm Stable

SQL and 200W RMS does not belong in the same sentence. The best compromise I can think of would be 2 JBL GTO1214s. They move a decent amount of air and they can sound pretty good as well. I've never used or heard ID subs but based on their reputation I don't think you will ever find what you've asked for to work well on 500W.

I am limited on amplifier with this car. It has a very small charging system that I intend to keep stock. I can assure you that it gets VERY loud with the IDMAX for only 200 rms. The IDMAX can't be the only sub on the market capable of this feat?

You might not need much bass for it be seem "VERY" loud, or you have an optimal box for SPL, or the reasons can go on. Getting loud requires moving air forcefully, and usually a sub that's very efficient doesn't also move a lot of air. I looked up the IDMAX12-D4 and it lists a sensitivity of 93.1 dB 1W/1m from a ground plane measurement. Not every manufacturer rates their subwoofers in this way, plus it has a power handling rating of 1,000W RMS. If you really put only 200W RMS on one it must have been barely moving.

I have plenty of subs and have been in several rides. It's a ported box built to spec with two dual 2 ohm IDMAX's and it is SQL for sure. The only lows it can't hit are the ultra lows on a song like "Bass, I love you". To my knowledge, I own some of the best SQL subs manufactured to date. These are loud and clean. Most people know that an IDMAX shouldn't be used to run that much power to it. They should have never been rated @ 1k rms. 6-700 is optimal. They are very efficient and very clean speakers. They use a long 2" VC, ULTRA soft suspension and have a giant motor. I was just curious if there was another sub out that could compare.

I know people that throw 1000 watts at the IDMax's and they sound excellent! I just can't see only throwing 200 watts on one. If I was going for a lower power SQ sub I'd go with a Focal Polyglass v1 or v2 11" or 13". I had 2 13's in a 3.5 cube enclosure tuned to 30. With only 300 watts a piece on them they got loud and low. One of my favorite subs to date...

I got some old school like new boston 10 inch subs. excellent SQ and was more than loud enough for me when I was looking for a SQ type system. PM me if your interested.

I know people that throw 1000 watts at the IDMax's and they sound excellent! I just can't see only throwing 200 watts on one. If I was going for a lower power SQ sub I'd go with a Focal Polyglass v1 or v2 11" or 13". I had 2 13's in a 3.5 cube enclosure tuned to 30. With only 300 watts a piece on them they got loud and low. One of my favorite subs to date...
I am aware that 1000 rms to an IDMAX is possible but only in perfect conditions. If not, it fails. I would rather run it with less power and have it last longer.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.