$300 for components and amp installation a rip off??

Rizzie
10+ year member

SO I would like to do this on my own but I don't have access to a drill or a spot where I can install myself. I'm forced to bring it to a spot to have my components and amp installed. Place where I got my tints done, quoted me $300 or more for installation.

Now I had components and an amp installed and I believe it was around $120 but I can't remember. Unfortunately that place shut down.

Now I have all the hardware from the components, to amp, and the wiring kit. What would be an ideal installation price?

Thinking I might have to take it to the Bronx to get it done because I know they all do things cheaper there but I wanted this place because it's only a block from my house.

It also depends on the vehicle. Some vehicles, like mine, require some pretty intense modification to get new speaker wiring through the door jamb. $300 sounds like way too much, though.

^ if they are running new speaker wire, not too bad of a deal.

you should have seen the shenanigans I just had to deal with to get wire through my door jam

I have a 2012 Altima Sedan and I don't think there is running any new speaker wire anywhere to my knowledge. If only I felt comfortable drilling and making a spot for the tweeters I would borrow someones drill and do it. But I never done anything like that before and most likely would mess it up. Gonna have to shop around a bit for a better price.

i dont have anything hooked up yet its all in the box with the amp and wiring kit on the way. but all I was planning was to have the amp set up in the trunk and run the power wire through to the battery. I'm capable of installing the amp with the wires but thats about it. I might give it a shot though because supposedly these kicker kss65 components is built to almost fit any vehicle without modification. Only thing I'm not clear about is if I need an mdf baffle or I just hook it up right where the stock speaker is and be done with it.

$300 is a good price depending on how they install. We would charge $430, that includes running new wires to the doors, HDPE speaker plates, sound deadener (1 sheet per door), mounting tweeters and mids, wiring and mounting the amp and wiring ran clean and presentable.

I' am having a 2nd amp, 6x9's along with wiring in the 4x6's to the new amp for $100..you guys fiber glassing in speakers??? I had the guy rerun 0 gauge from a 4 gauge run for $80:eyebrow:

$90 per hour. 2 hours to install amp = $180 plus 2 hours @ $90 per hour to install components = $180 = $360 plus speaker plates, materials and sound deadener plus install = $430. Actually after materials and shop parts charge it would be $450 plus tax by us. No fiberglass, just very qualified techs doing the job to the highest standards.

$90 per hour. 2 hours to install amp = $180 plus 2 hours @ $90 per hour to install components = $180 = $360 plus speaker plates, materials and sound deadener plus install = $430. Actually after materials and shop parts charge it would be $450 plus tax by us. No fiberglass, just very qualified techs doing the job to the highest standards.
LOL no offense but there ya go 4 hours to install an amp and some comps...

Sounds good. Just not used to the prices cause last time I had audio hooked up was about 7 years ago same situation. I never knock anyone's business because I know majority you pay for what you get and the ones that will do quality work are more expensive most of the time.

I found a spot in Poughkeepsie to do the amp, components, and wiring for 150 and I know they do a good job on their installs so I'm going to go with them. I called some other shop and they quoted me $500-$600. I can see if I was getting all speakers and subs done but that's too much for me.

Props to you all for the info though much appreciated

Sounds good. Just not used to the prices cause last time I had audio hooked up was about 7 years ago same situation. I never knock anyone's business because I know majority you pay for what you get and the ones that will do quality work are more expensive most of the time.
I found a spot in Poughkeepsie to do the amp, components, and wiring for 150 and I know they do a good job on their installs so I'm going to go with them. I called some other shop and they quoted me $500-$600. I can see if I was getting all speakers and subs done but that's too much for me.

Props to you all for the info though much appreciated
The get what you pay for thing only applies if the installer is knowledgable in what you want.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.