$3000 for a brand new sound system, take two.

fatefree
10+ year member

NJ
Back when I didn't know any better I came to this forum waving around 3 grand and a grand plan to match brands in the form of an Alpine system, and it was shot down by everyone at once with good reason. I've since done more research and I offer up a second list of equipment in the hopes of feedback and confirmation and suggestion and hopefully filling in the blanks.

As a recap, I have a Hyundai Tiburon SE (Hatchback), I listen to alternative rocky music and zero rap. I like when drums hurt my brain. I care most about SQ. The list goes:

Component Amplifier:

SunDown 100.4 (PURCHASED)

Subwoofer Amplifier:

SunDown 1500.1 (PURCHASED)

Component Speakers (Which should I pick, budget ~ $500):

Oz Matrix Elite 180CS - Heard the newer set is better than the old ones

Rainbow profi - another suggestion seems to be well liked

Morel PG Ti elite - referred but did not research them yet

Subwoofer (The bane of my existence. I cannot choose. budget ~ $500) :

Fi Q - Would have chosen, but heard too many stories of this sub breaking

RD Alpha V2 - Was high on my list but it wants a ported box, SQL based

IDMAX - Don't know alot about it

Alpine Type X - Seems to be a good SQ choice, but there may be better for the money

JL W6 - Read it was more SQ than then W7

JL W7 - If all else fails but a little expensive

*New addition - SI Mag - recommended in this thread

HeadUnit:

Eclipse AVN7000 - Can the harddrive be used to store music at all (* I am told no)

- Does anyone know where I can get one from a dealer for $1300?

Battery (Which should I pick):

Kinetiks 1400 - Will this be enough for my system?

Kinetiks 1800 - Should I get the next step up just to be safe? (* Going with this to be safe)

Edit - For the sub I am lookin at 12 inches of pain

Morel Components... I *love* Morel speakers. They never measure well on the THD charts for some reason but they have this "in your face" midrange but without being harsh all at the same time... absolutely love them for this.

Have you considered an SI Mag for the sub? What size do you want? I am working on building the only 15" Mag with a Chrome basket ever at the moment //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif I may be able to track down a 12" model for you too... LMK.

I would get the Kinetik 1800... you will never regret having the extra battery capacity, trust me!

For the sub I would go with the Q.

Comps i would go with morel or the rainbows. You can also look in to Focals line of subs

I agree w/ sundownz on the sub. Mag FTW. Morel or rainbows. And is that battery replacing your front battery or as an extra in the rear?
The battery is going to replace my current one

Where have you read that Fi Qs break a lot?

As far as I know, every Fi sub, including the Q, is very very well built and can hold up to rated power and then some, daily. I have my Fi Q 15'' on 1200W RMS daily, not a single problem so far. Every report/forum I've ever read about Fi only raves about their quality and customer service, so in the unlikely event that one does break, they are very willing to work with you to get it fixed/replaced. I can vouch for the quality of these woofers personally since I use one.

x2 on never hearing about Q's breaking. Been running one for almost a year now with no problems.

For drums that make your brain hurt I'd suggest a DD9515 or HDC315 in 4-4.5cubes at 35hz. Kick drums will THUMP you in the chest. Get 2 of them and they'll smack you in the back of the head...

Ive read it on a couple of forums where the tinsel lead is hitting something and the warranty specifically doesn't cover it. Not saying it happens to all of them but it was just something I noted when researching this.

I am starting now to consider the SI MAG for my sub, so I'll be doing some more research on that.

For the setup on the whole, does it look like itll sound nice?

Oh within the next week or so. No real rush just want to make the best decision since this will last me a long time. I have a feeling though there are so many options that I would equally enjoy its just hard to pick one. Amps were easy, but subs, always some ragin debate about subs..

Thanks everyone for your feedback. I've decided on:

Component Amplifier:

SunDown 100.4 (PURCHASED)

Subwoofer Amplifier:

SunDown 1500.1 (PURCHASED)

Component Speakers:

Morel PG Ti Elite

Subwoofer:

12" SI Mag Sealed Enclosure

HeadUnit:

Eclipse AVN7000 (Looking to purchase new)

Battery:

Kinetiks 1800

Tada that list would have been useful 4 weeks ago

There aren't many reviews of the Ti Elites on here, but here's one thread:

http://www.caraudio.com/forum/showthread.php?t=251483

They compare the Rainbow Powerline CMX to the PG's. People seem to like the Rainbows a little better. Now this is the CMX's. The Rainbow Profi's are a very definite step up from the CMX's. Since you listed the Profi's as an option, I would definitely go with the Rainbow Profi line.

I have a set of Rainbow Germaniums, and love them. I know you'll love the Profi's.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.