4 ohm sub to mono block amp

Participant count
  • Participant list

nebstewart07
10+ year member

MO
I have a 4 ohm sub dual voice coil sub kicker l7 and a kicker 500.1 amp. I parralel wire the sub and then directly hooked it up to the amp. i am just making sure that i did this correct hopefully i did.

The manual stated that parralel wiring the sub would make it 2 ohm so i guess it should be correct but just making sure.

I had 2 subs and had them hooked up and one blew. I looked inside the box and the dummies had them series wired which would make it 8 ohms each then bridged and then hooked to the amp. That would have caused it to blow correct?

yes you can wire it like that, the shop seriesed each woofer then paralleled the wires together, that gets ya at 4ohms and thats what i would have done too, about your only option other than running it below recommended impedance, wont cause it to blow

Well the amp is at 2 ohms correct? so i would want to wire my single sub to be 2 ohm correct. The sub is 600 rms and the amp is 500 rms so i should be good there correct? Now when i select high or low on the amp does that affect the ohms. I wouldnt think so but ya know.

I believe the hi/low setting on that amp is for input sensitivity.

That does not effect impedance. It is set relative to your HU pre-amp voltage. The low level sensitivity has a range of .125v to 5v which will cover 90% of aftermarket HU's. The hi level is used if your HU signal is 5v to 10v.

in order to use a high level signal input (the speaker leads from your stock HU) with that amp you have to connect rca plugs to your speaker wires. Pretty tricky for a novice IMO.

In that case you WOULD use the "hi" input level selection.

Well the installer used a line output and that is right next to the speaker and then the rc is ran from there into the amp.

Well the installer used a line output and that is right next to the speaker and then the rc is ran from there into the amp.

Then you'd be using the Low-Input Sensitivity. Running the amp at a higher impedance means less power from the amp and LESS likely that the subs would blow. I'm guessing the gain was set to high and it was clipped to death. Are your gains set properly.

just thought I would update this for some reason a year later lol. Best buy turned everything up and i mean all the knobs on the amp everything. That is why the sub blew *********. I will never have best buy install anything!

modern L7's and L5's are sensitive to 2 things- clipping/distortion and excursion. if you are not familiar with tuning the settings, i would stop bu a reputable shop and have them tune it. sub-sonic filter use can be a life-line to these....what enclosure are you using?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.