????????

Randy 5.3
10+ year member

Hey guys, I'm new to this forum, hoping to learn a few things from the experts on wiring systems.......I have my first quick question or problem rather, I bought a pair of 10" Kicker CVXs, 1200watts (600 rms), dual voice coil (2 Ohms each, 4 TOTAL OHMS) and am hooked them up to my old school Memphis 16-st 1000.1 class D amp. I wired my subs to lower them down to 2 Ohms but did not bridge them at the amp. On my first start up, I tried pushing the subs and the amp started clipping (or so I THINK it's CLIPPING, a sort of TAPPING noise was heard along with the bass), anyways, long story short, why would the amp be doing this if it should have more than enough power to fire up these subs? How many OHMS is the amp working on?

Again totally new to this so any help is greatly appreciated.

-Randy-

First off, it's a mono amp, there's no bridging to be done, even if you want to. Confirm that your subs are wired as shown:

2_2ohmDVC_2ohm.gif

As you say your amp is making a tapping noise?

Ok, my bad on the bridging, but I have red on red and black on black on the sub, then out to the amp........the diagram shows red on black, I just followed the instruction manual which came with the subs.......I hear the tapping come from the subs together with the bass......

My old 1000 watt hifonics was doing that. i was running it off of cheap 6 ga scosche power cable. Upgraded to stinger 4 ga and the problem went away.

Break out your meter if you have one , and test voltage during high volume at two places , the battery and the amps power teminals , if they are significantly different you need to upgrade your power cables.

Ok if you have red to red and black to black it's not 4ohms, that is 1 ohm per sub= 1/2 ohm on the amp, need to rewire the subs like the diagram (daboyfrumdabx) gave you. On the popping, is it at low volume or just while playing loud? If it's while it's loud you might want to check your voltage drop while playing it loud, also do the BIG 3 if you haven't.

Ok if you have red to red and black to black it's not 4ohms, that is 1 ohm per sub= 1/2 ohm on the amp, need to rewire the subs like the diagram (daboyfrumdabx) gave you. On the popping, is it at low volume or just while playing loud? If it's while it's loud you might want to check your voltage drop while playing it loud, also do the BIG 3 if you haven't.
is there anything wrong with having the subs at 1/2 ohm?? I was told they would hit harder this way....the tapping was only ther when pushing the amp....ill have to check on the.voltage but the trucks got a new battert and a pretty good wireing...

1/2 ohm will make the amp work harder and pull a lot more current. what size power wire are you using? you should be running 1/0 if you plan to run it at 1/2 ohm. you might even need a second battery. that am im sure is pulling a ton of current

you are pushing close to that wires capability on long hard bass notes you are almost definately getting low voltage to the amp id get a dmm on it if it is going into the 11.x v thats low range. check at the amp and the front batt if there is more than a .2v differance you need to upgrade the wire either way id do the big three

what does bottoming out the subs mean? I was going to hold out ont the big 3 upgrade till gurther down the road but I guess ill gave to get an early start....can any of these things damage my subs? the amp has been going stong for years now so if I get one more good year from it, it has served its purpose, subs on the other hand are btand spankin new....

the lack of cooling that clipping causes can eaisly burn up your sub,

when a sub bottoms out, you are hitting the coil/former on the motor which can eaisly cause damage,

bottoming out is very easy to define, it will be a very loud violent sound.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

Randy 5.3

10+ year member
Randy 5.3
Rio Grande Valley, Tx
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date
Last reply from