58 Farad Super Capacitor for $80 !!

gstokes

FÜKENGRUVEN
Purchased this on ebay for $80 along with a 200/260 watt soldering gun for another $43, Six 350 Farad Maxwell BoostCaps in Series = 16.2 Volts @ 58 Farads, should be large enough for my meager 1100 watt system..

%24_1.JPG

There's videos on youtube of this assembled module starting full-size V8 engines with 10 gauge cables, the lengthy discussion we had some time ago about capacitors and SMD's amplifier dyno helped to convince me this is the hot ticket for sound power..

Weller D550PK 120 Volt 260 200 Watt Professional Soldering Gun Kit | eBay

Ultracapacitor Module Kit Battery Eliminator Car Audio Starting Remote Solar | eBay

Compare that with a Rockford Fosgate 10 Farad Hybrid for $200..

Actually the lemming are the people who keep sticking with HO alts, big 3 and then cramming the car full of 100lb batteries.. Good for OP for trying something better and different.. In 50 years we wont' be using batteries anymore for ANYTHING, bank on it //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

Actually the lemming are the people who keep sticking with HO alts, big 3 and then cramming the car full of 100lb batteries.. Good for OP for trying something better and different.. In 50 years we wont' be using batteries anymore for ANYTHING, bank on it //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif
Are you saying a HO alt with the big three is not the way to go? I agree that a bunch of batteries is not ideal.

Anyone have an opinion on this?:

15V 233F Ultracapacitor Engine Battery Starter Booster Car Ultra Super Capacitor | eBay

I was thinking about replacing my main battery with it

Are you saying a HO alt with the big three is not the way to go? I agree that a bunch of batteries is not ideal.
Anyone have an opinion on this?:

15V 233F Ultracapacitor Engine Battery Starter Booster Car Ultra Super Capacitor | eBay

I was thinking about replacing my main battery with it
Only thing you'd want to watch is the 15v rating it's 6 2.5v caps in there. Generally when you use 2.5v cap, I prefer 7 of them instead of 6. If you don't charge any higher than 14.4 ever, you'll be ok. If it's a newer car with an ECU, many of them go as high as 15.5 at times. Also, as the caps are used they slowly lose capacity (although they do it much slower than a battery) so after a couple years it won't be good for 15v so you'll be on a slipperly slope at that point. If your car charges at 14.4v this is a good price for a self enclosed unit.

Only thing you'd want to watch is the 15v rating it's 6 2.5v caps in there. Generally when you use 2.5v cap, I prefer 7 of them instead of 6. If you don't charge any higher than 14.4 ever, you'll be ok. If it's a newer car with an ECU, many of them go as high as 15.5 at times. Also, as the caps are used they slowly lose capacity (although they do it much slower than a battery) so after a couple years it won't be good for 15v so you'll be on a slipperly slope at that point. If your car charges at 14.4v this is a good price for a self enclosed unit.
My car is a 1986, and I just bought the new alternator (which I think has an internal voltage regulator). From what you're saying, it would be ok for now. I would still need to replace it in a couple years though.

My car is a 1986, and I just bought the new alternator (which I think has an internal voltage regulator). From what you're saying, it would be ok for now. I would still need to replace it in a couple years though.
yup.

//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/iagree.gif.15d6c075ee8d3913ba26866d06993068.gif we are getting into hybrid cars for the last decade and guess what.....they use these things called batteries......what do you think electric cars run on? batteries.....

//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/iagree.gif.15d6c075ee8d3913ba26866d06993068.gif we are getting into hybrid cars for the last decade and guess what.....they use these things called batteries......what do you think electric cars run on? batteries.....
This is true, but they are used in conjunction with large capacitors. They go hand in hand. Capacitors can discharge quickly, but batteries are used to retain most of the stored electrical energy.

here it is, the soldering gun didn't show up yet, Monday i should be able to start putting it together.

DSCF4112_zpsb0065c8f.jpg

DSCF4115_zps3510a763.jpg

DSCF4114_zps2958217e.jpg

DSCF4113_zpsbdde17ff.jpg

thank-you for the positive replies and the link to the bigger module, perhaps if the smaller module works out i will upgrade to the larger one.

will keep you posted..

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.