6.5" speaker door mount and baffle design help

Participant count
  • Participant list

PrinceCharming
10+ year member

PrinceCharming
I am going to try and install my 6.5" JBL C608GTI MKII's this spring break and I need some help building a speaker bracket/mount out of MDF so I can mount them in my doors. I'm going to be putting these in a 2002 Pontiac Grand Am SE; it has 4x6" sock mounting holes, 1-2" from the mounting hole to the windshield, and about 3" from the mounting hole to the door panel. I want to make them fit without having to adjust my windshield track and without having to modify my door panel.

The stock mounts curve the speakers up toward the driver and passenger and the place in the door panel where the speakers are curves up also. I would like to build a mount that angles the speakers in this fashion also by maybe sanding or cutting the custom mount to fit flush with the sheet metal (I want to be able to seal it off). Wish I could post pics right now to explain it a little better but I cant right now. Will try to get some pics up within the next few days.

Will a foam baffle with the end cut out of it work and protect the speaker well enough from water damage? Or should I try to build one? I know I will need to waterproof the MDF.

Just a brief explanation or website/thread showing how to do this right and what I will need will suffice.

Here are the speaker specifications:

Cutout diameter - 5-1/8" (131mm)

Mounting depth - 2-11/16" (69mm)

Xmax - 1/8" (3.44mm)

http://www.jbl.com/resources/Brands/jbl/Products/ProductRelatedDocuments/en-US/OwnersManual/C508_608GTiMKII_OM_(web).pdf

Also if anyone can give me way to build a better mount or make it sound better, that would be nice. I saw a website or thread awhile back about how to get a few more db's out of your door speakers with a few simple sealing and deadening tricks but I can't remember where.

Any help is appreciated and if you need any more info then just tell me. Thanks

i've though of this as well. making a speaker baffle that is angled would be fairly easy if you have access to a table saw. you could make a jig to hold the baffle and then angle the blade of the saw. it would need to happen in two passes, but is doable.

you can use the stock mount as your guide.

if the stock grille is 4x6 then you should probably just commit to cutting it out and using the aftermarket grille. you can get creative and make it look nicer. what you don't want is to go through this effort then create a resonance trap with a stock grill.

instead of buying the XTC foam baffle, you can just use weatherstripping closed cell foam to create a channel for water to run around - just stick it to the inside of the speaker opening and have a continuous run on the top half of the opening.

Thanks for the response. I am going to get rid of the stock mount and just use my custom one as soon as I get it done. I guess I will just have to get out there and see what I can do.

Thanks for the idea about the baffle but either I'm not understanding it correctly or else that will not protect and water dripping on to the speakers off the bottom of the window.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.