??? about radar detectors

Vega
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
Chicago
Do radar detectors "detect" police cars that are moving? For example if a police car and I were moving towards each other would the radar detector go off? Or does it only work on police cars that are sitting with a radar gun? I won't be using the detector because of speeding but for audio. Sometimes I don't see the police coming towards me until they are right infront of me so I want to be able to hit my turn off switch in advance.

Do radar detectors "detect" police cars that are moving? For example if a police car and I were moving towards each other would the radar detector go off? Or does it only work on police cars that are sitting with a radar gun? I won't be using the detector because of speeding but for audio. Sometimes I don't see the police coming towards me until they are right infront of me so I want to be able to hit my turn off switch in advance.
radar dectectors only will detect radar waves from police with radar guns on

of the gun isnt on the radar detector wont do any help

Radar/Laser detectors are wastes of money, if you get pulled over for bumping, hey sh!t happens. Just be respectful to the cop that pulls you over (yes sir/no sir) and you should be ok. Just my .02 //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

Radar/Laser detectors are wastes of money, if you get pulled over for bumping, hey sh!t happens. Just be respectful to the cop that pulls you over (yes sir/no sir) and you should be ok. Just my .02 //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

Or don't be a tard and bump responsibly.

Radar detectors don't detect "police cars", they detect radar waves. Whether the vehicle containing the active radar gun is moving or not doesn't matter. But if the police car doesn't have it's radar gun turned on, the radar detector won't detect it.

The best defense against noise violation tickets? KEEP THE STEREO DOWN IN RESIDENTIAL AREAS.

radar detectors just find radar waves... some can also locate laser emissions as well. but only if the cop car is broadcasting. was just on the highway today and most hiway troopers do NOT leave their radars on full time. and at one point for about 10 miles i must have been following a car with a radar jammer because my detector was under constant alert... fyi, boom on the highway... only you can enjoy it then.

Sometimes cops will leave them on, out of accident or on purpose I dotn know, but a few local cops seem to leave theirs on. Beeping gets more rapid as I get closer, etc.

Honestly, I have never found a radar detector to be of much use in the city, only on highway, and even then only when properly mounted.

-Lurius

Sometimes cops will leave them on, out of accident or on purpose I dotn know, but a few local cops seem to leave theirs on. Beeping gets more rapid as I get closer, etc.
Honestly, I have never found a radar detector to be of much use in the city, only on highway, and even then only when properly mounted.

-Lurius
ya i agree cause then it detects bands emited by supermarket automatic doors, and intersection cameras etc

//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/hilarious.gif.02a037aad04aa96f19982b298a3d70a8.gif
Tell that to the *who knows how many tickets that potentially could have cost me who knows how much $$* that mine has helped me avoid!

Radar detectors detect radar (hence the name of the device to begin with) not simply police cars in general. Not every police unit is equipped with speed detection equipment (at least in my area) and those that are do not have the gun on all the time. All a radar detector will do for you is detect active RF transmissions in the bands that it is designed to pick up.

Like posted by so many already - the best defense against a noise polution citation is to bump responsibly. Period.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

Vega

10+ year member
Senior VIP Member
Vega
Chicago
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date