Add a tweeter or cross lower?

Participant count
  • Participant list

Bwap

CarAudio.com Elite
NY
I have recently constructed a pair of crossovers for my front stage.

The crossover point is 2750hz, butterworth, for both the mid and the tweet.

I feel that because the sensitivity is much higher on the 8" that there in quite and overlap at the crossover point. I am considering changing the low pass crossover on the 8" down to 2k. I don't know how this will pair with the tweeter, so I am asking you guys.

Even at about -10db at 5000hz, the 8" still overpowers the tweet..

I think it is the sensitivity difference, making them not pair nicely.

The speakers I am using are:

PowerBass 4XL-80-94 (4xl8094) 8" Competition Grade Composite

and

Morel MDT 12 1-1/8" Neodymium Tweeter 277-060

Both sound amazing, I just don't know where to cross them to sound nice together.

I was told 2750 would be fine, but there is definitely an overlapping issue.

This is how they are wired, ignore the supertweeter.

Mid_tweet_tweet_crossover_wiring.jpg

Youre using a relatively loud 6" midrange with a tweeter that was never designed to be used in a car, and never designed to be loud. Buy a set of bullet tweeters and you will have that extra high end that you need.

Edit: Just saw the Morels were 8ohm. Try running a set of these. Should work just fine. Just fine for a small setup.

Selenium ST200 Super Tweeter 264-348

Youre using a relatively loud 6" midrange with a tweeter that was never designed to be used in a car, and never designed to be loud. Buy a set of bullet tweeters and you will have that extra high end that you need.
Edit: Just saw the Morels were 8ohm. Try running a set of these. Should work just fine. Just fine for a small setup.

Selenium ST200 Super Tweeter 264-348
My problem is actually the overlap 3k+, Was planning on adding a supertweeter until I noticed how rough an overlap is.

The morel sounds great, its just that the 8" screams the highs louder. I would rather the 8 play less highs, than add more to the higher end.

Im considering a 2k linkwits to see if it crosses better, as it is -6db at 3k and -12 at 4k.. it will slope harder, making the highs on the 8 fall off while the tweet is unaffected.

Anyone have any input?

It would be nice to have some help solving this, as I was recommended from people on here where to cross at and against my better judgment went with it.. now I have the huge overlap.

Even if the 8 only plays to 2-3khz, its still going to be much louder than the tweeter. The tweeter isnt designed for a situation like that.

Get a product that is.

Anyone have any input?
It would be nice to have some help solving this, as I was recommended from people on here where to cross at and against my better judgment went with it.. now I have the huge overlap.
Passive crossovers have limitations and you've discovered one of them. The 8" mid might not be 4 ohms at the frequency you're trying to lowpass it. That plus the sensitivity differences and driver mounting locations (on/off axis etc) make it hard to dial a homemade passive system in without a lot of trial and error.

At this point maybe you should consider an active solution where you can set the crossovers and speaker levels separately with just a twist of a knob. There are some nice 4 channel amps at reasonable cost that can do that for you.

Passive crossovers have limitations and you've discovered one of them. The 8" mid might not be 4 ohms at the frequency you're trying to lowpass it. That plus the sensitivity differences and driver mounting locations (on/off axis etc) make it hard to dial a homemade passive system in without a lot of trial and error.
At this point maybe you should consider an active solution where you can set the crossovers and speaker levels separately with just a twist of a knob. There are some nice 4 channel amps at reasonable cost that can do that for you.
Already running 3 amps, these front speakers are being ran at about 240 watts from two channels of my rock four channel. so a channel per driver isn't an option.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.