Advice Much Appreciated

Participant count
  • Participant list
So I want to upgrade my system in my 1985 Toyota 4runner. Right now, i have an aftermarket kenwood deck, two Alpine Type R 12s runnng on a single channel BOSS 1100 amp, Two Kenwood Excelon 6x9s 130w RMS in the back and two 4" in the front.

I want new speakers in the front, either 6 1/2 inch components or 6x9s and preferably close to the RMS of the Kenwoods.

The problem is, I want a cheapish 4 channel amp to power the Kenwoods and whatever front speakers i plan on getting. What front speakers should i consider, and what amp should i consider. Do the ohms on the speakers and amp really matter all that much?

Thanks for helping out a newb!

Your gonna need pods for the fronts. If you want 6.5 components don't cheap out on the amps either. You'll regret it if you do
So maybe i should just get another pair of the kenwoods, at least for now. I know the RMS of the amp is supposed to be about equal to the speaker RMS, but how much power can it have and still sound good. I dont wanna break the bank on 130w amp. WOuld 90 watts be alright? Also, should the ohms match? If not, does it matter how much watts go to 4 vs 2 ohms?

2 ohm speakers will just pull more power from the amp or amps effiecent won't be quite as good. But you won't hear the difference you might be able to get 6.5 speakers in the doors without pods. But they'll need to be slim

oh ok that makes sense. And ya i would do some custom door panels

---------- Post added at 09:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:59 PM ----------

how much amp wattage would be enough to make 130 rms speakes soung decent though?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.