aero port diameter help

Participant count
  • Participant list

kyleorsini
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
got a new vehicle and will be adding my aq 2200 / hdc310 combo for substage and need input kinda quick on what size of a areo port to use kinda unsure as itll be first time using one, and figure with the box being a wedge style box itd be easier to use a areo port.

box should be around 1.5 cubes tuned to about 35-40, dont have dimensions for a box yet but vehicle is a 08 tubdra crewmax so i have lots of room behind the seats. what areo should i use 4" or 6" that wont cause alot of port noise. need a answer kinda asap as i need to order within the next day. thanks.

Yea I'd go with a 4inch as well. It will have to be kinda long to get the tuning you want.

For 35hz tune you'd need a total length of 16.5in using a flared port or subtract an inch for a non flared ported (straight pipe)

For 40hz tune the length drops to 12.18in for a flared port, subtract an inch for non flared

port calculator

Considering that this driver has a usable throw of 3" and the LF cutoff of music is around 30Hz, the minimum area you want to have for a port is 539.67 square cm. This will equate to about a 10" port diameter. But again, this would be the minimum for a power related, excursion related, and frequency related figure of max. SO, anything above 30Hz and less than 76.2mm of excursion will be well below port noise. This will also be if tuning(in a conventional design) is around 30Hz. This gives virtually zero port noise, a fraction of average. For somewhat of a higher port noise for less coupling and added pressure, the 4" port will give you a minimum port noise around a 45Hz tuned enclosure. Anything below 45Hz will start to give you significant amount of pressure(which will be a good thing up to a point of max allowable port noise).

Hope that helps.

it will def sound good with a single 4" pipe with flared aeroports, and a 4" port is enough for atleast 144db for sure i know.

it will def sound good with a single 4" pipe with flared aeroports, and a 4" port is enough for atleast 144db for sure i know.
So, you have it narrowed down to an exact dB level.....that's impressive. I do agree though that high spl can be obtained with a bit smaller area than I recommended, if that is the main concern.

i just wrote that because i know its a possible number with a single 4" inch, and many just look at the numbers.. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

anyway i saw this thread too with the same sub and he reallly liked the sound of it,

sure it would have even more output with a 6" aero!, but it would be so crazy long, so in a daily car i would have used a 4"

AQ HDC3 10 Copper Box? - Page 2 - Car Audio Classifieds

i just wrote that because i know its a possible number with a single 4" inch, and many just look at the numbers.. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gifanyway i saw this thread too with the same sub and he reallly liked the sound of it,

sure it would have even more output with a 6" aero!, but it would be so crazy long, so in a daily car i would have used a 4"

AQ HDC3 10 Copper Box? - Page 2 - Car Audio Classifieds
That's kewl. Yea, the aeros can get pretty lengthy,lol. That's why in most cases in my designs I use slot ports, plus it adds to the designs rigitity. But I do and always will love the look of an aero.....something about em //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif good looking out by the way!

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.