All sorts of anger. ****.

Participant count
  • Participant list

Phlipbak
10+ year member

CA Enthusiast
Ok, bought two ID OEM mids from hessdawg (great seller, great product, quick shipment), but they don't fit in my door, but when I made a custom baffle for them (3/4 in. MDF), the bottom of the speaker touches the grill and the little cone thing in the middle of the cone is about .125 in. from touching the grill on the door panel, so if it weren't touching the bottom of the grill, it would still hit that when played heavily, so I need some new mids..

Would making a baffle out of 1/4 in. MDF solve all these problems? Because my EDi 6500 component's 6.5" mids fit in the doors fine with a ABS plastic baffle (which the 3/4" MDF baffle was mounted on top of)..

And if not, what mids could I get that can handle about 100-120w a piece, are 4 ohm SVC, and have about a 2.8" mounting depth and a magnet about the size of the EDi 6500 mids (because the wide basket and magnet of the ID's are what's causing me to make the mounting rings..), and don't have the cone thing in the middle of the cone just a regular subwoofer-ish looking cone?

Thanks..

Trevor

HAAAAAA just had the same prob. Made some baffles out of 1/2" birch. Can't tell if they touch the door panel but I think they do. I'm just gonna cut the fake grill in the door panel speaker area and maybe put some grill cloth over use the grills for the id's.

The magnets are freaking wide on the id's.

In inches, how far will these things extend out of the basket excursion-wise (not inward, but outward, toward the grill)? Because it has about .125 in., and I might can fit it in a 1/4 in. or 1/2 in. baffle, giving it 1/4 in. to 1/2 in. more room.. it can't have excursion of a full 1/4 to 1/2 inch can it?

Best thing to do is mount it on the thinnest baffle you can to allow adequate clearance behind, and in front. If you think it could be close on the front, you could also add spacers on the front of the baffle to keep the door skin from encroaching on the mid.

Wait why would it need clearance behind if it's in a basket? The magnet is almost touching this metal thing (which is kind of attracting the magnet to it haha) but my EDi's were like that for 2 years and were fine

Wait why would it need clearance behind if it's in a basket? The magnet is almost touching this metal thing (which is kind of attracting the magnet to it haha) but my EDi's were like that for 2 years and were fine
That's what I mean... Hypothetically, If you need to space the mid 1/2" out to keep the magnet from hitting something inside the door, then it would make sense to use a 1/2" MDF ring instead of a 3/4" one to gain the needed clearance for the cone.

Alright, well I don't think it's going to fit.. anyone have any suggestions for a 6.5" mid with a magnet no bigger than 3.25" or 3.5" and mount depth no greater than 3"?
//content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/verymad.gif.3f39c5c2fd57527b671fad3efdfac756.gif

ttt

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

Phlipbak

10+ year member
CA Enthusiast
Phlipbak
Dothan, AL; Nashville, TN
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date