Alt mounting help

Participant count
  • Participant list

NinjaBass

Low Bass Lover
North AL
So I received my new alt from Singer a couple of days ago and tried giving it a shot at putting it on today. First off the case for this alt if for another vehicle but I talked with Mike because I was wanting more power than the direct swap alt for my car had to offer. He said people have used the case my new alt is in for cars like mine before (99 Accord) and said he was willing to give it a shot if I was(knowing there might be a couple of modifications needed to be made) so I did.

So to get to the point of my post I took the stock alt off today to put the new one on. They are the same size, everything lines up good, and I believe everything is going to work just fine, but I ran into one problem. The mounting holes on the new alt are bigger around than the ones on the stock alt so when you put the stock size bolts through the holes on the new alt it is very loose. I was thinking maybe be able to put some type of sleeves or something inside of the mounting holes on the alt so the bolts would fit in there tight. Just thought I would ask to see if anyone had any ideas. Thanks for the help and sorry if I did not explain the problem well

Pics would help.

What if you threaded some nuts onto the bolt on either side of the alt bracket to help hold it in place?

Ideally you'd make the whole closer in size, either by reducing the holes on the alt (not sure how you'd do this) or by expanding the holes on, or replacing the other piece of hardware, thus allowing for larger, more snug bolts.

Pics would help.
What if you threaded some nuts onto the bolt on either side of the alt bracket to help hold it in place?

Ideally you'd make the whole closer in size, either by reducing the holes on the alt (not sure how you'd do this) or by expanding the holes on, or replacing the other piece of hardware, thus allowing for larger, more snug bolts.

Yeah I will try and get some pics tomorrow in the day light, but I was thinking about like some way to make a sleeve to but in the hole to make the hole smaller. Don't know the best way to go about doing that and I will try to look into putting a nut on there

Yeah I will try and get some pics tomorrow in the day light, but I was thinking about like some way to make a sleeve to but in the hole to make the hole smaller. Don't know the best way to go about doing that and I will try to look into putting a nut on there
I've seen these things in the hardware shop, but I don't know what they're typically used for. They're like a metal tube with threads on the inside. I've seen them in smaller, machine screw sizes. I think they're a coupler of some sort. You might be able to find a steel coupler (provided there's no "wall" inside it halfway through) and put it on the bolt to make the middle thicker.

I've seen these things in the hardware shop, but I don't know what they're typically used for. They're like a metal tube with threads on the inside. I've seen them in smaller, machine screw sizes. I think they're a coupler of some sort. You might be able to find a steel coupler (provided there's no "wall" inside it halfway through) and put it on the bolt to make the middle thicker.
That is a good idea. You think I could just find something like that at lows or home depot?

There's a good chance. you might also find it at Ace Hardware.
Well I believe I have got everything ready to go with the alt now. Got the belt out on and picked up one of the bolts I needed just waiting to go to a store that is local to get the other bolt I need to finish the install. To bad they are only open Monday - Friday. Anyways thanks for the help Umbra

Well I believe I have got everything ready to go with the alt now. Got the belt out on and picked up one of the bolts I needed just waiting to go to a store that is local to get the other bolt I need to finish the install. To bad they are only open Monday - Friday. Anyways thanks for the help Umbra
You can also get some bushings (sleeves) to fit in the new alt, so the bolt fits more snug.

So I have ran into another problem. I need a specific bolt for my bottom mounting on my new alt. Apparently no one makes this size and I have to have it to make everything work so if anyways knows a way for me to get this that would be more than awesome.

The bolt I need is a M8 X 1.50 X 80mm

the stock bolt is a M8 X 1.50 X 70mm

I just need it be a little longer. I happened to find a 100mm but it stuck out way to after adding spacers on it and I could not cut the length of it down because it was only threaded at the end of the bolt

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.