Alternator - Any reason not to go bigger?

The key thing to remember is that alternators provide power on demand. Assuming the voltage regulator in the alternator is functioning, there's no concern about over charging. Higher amperage alternators can put out more charging power if a high load requires it. If the voltage regulator fails, hopefully your ecu has overprotective built in. Whether 250 or 390 though it's going to fry non protected systems, so make sure that alternator comes from a reputable brand.

The key thing to remember is that alternators provide power on demand. Assuming the voltage regulator in the alternator is functioning, there's no concern about over charging. Higher amperage alternators can put out more charging power if a high load requires it. If the voltage regulator fails, hopefully your ecu has overprotective built in. Whether 250 or 390 though it's going to fry non protected systems, so make sure that alternator comes from a reputable brand.

That last line rings true. Make sure it's from a reputable brand

That last line rings true. Make sure it's from a reputable brand
Extremely important rule of thumb, unfortunately even the best alternators can fail. I had a 2012 Charger RT with factory 240 amp alternator that failed. Smoke started pouring in the vents. I ordered a new, non remanufactured replacement from dodge, and I had random vehicle shut downs. I started measuring, and at idle the alternator was fine. Once the diodes heated up though they would intermittently fail and let 15.5 volts through to the ecu. The ecu was shutting down to prevent cooking, I'm just thankful it had over current protection. Not all vehicles do.

Singer only quoted me up to a 250A.
Likely because Mike is being honest about real-world expectations of an alternator installed.

I'd be interested to be proven wrong though if someone has some "400A" alternator and can show us some video of clamping some numbers out of it outside of a cold test bench scenario.

Likely because Mike is being honest about real-world expectations of an alternator installed.

I'd be interested to be proven wrong though if someone has some "400A" alternator and can show us some video of clamping some numbers out of it outside of a cold test bench scenario.
You almost make me want to buy it to test it now.

Almost.

Got some video of this happening installed under real world conditions?

Thanks everyone for all the help.

I've narrowed it down to a Mechman 240A (cheapest viable option)
Or a singer 320A (highest output viable small case option)
Ohio Generator and GP Audio never responded to quote requests. Brand X I've read mixed reviews on...

Anyone have any input on Singer ($600) Vs Mechman ($400)?

Would I notice the extra 80 Amps if I went with the Singer?

I'm leaning towards the Singer, but I dont mind saving $200+ if someone gives me a reason.

240-250 Amps was the size reccomended by both Brand X and Singer for my system.

Ohio Generator and GP Audio never responded to quote requests. Brand X I've read mixed reviews on...

I'm leaning towards the Singer, but I dont mind saving $200+ if someone gives me a reason.

https://autotechengineeringusa.com/

Got my 320a with powder coating for less than Mechman 240.

While I haven't used either of those brands, 80a is certainly substantial.

Customer service trumps customer reviews. Contact each company and pick the one that gives you a warm-fuzzy.

May I ask how long you've had it and how it's holding up? I'm assuming you like it if you reccomended them.

That's definitely the most power per dollar option I've seen.

I literally just got it so I have zero experience in reliability other than the reviews on Facebook for the past few years. I'm very impressed with their customer service and build time though. Talked to the owner over the phone and he was great.
alt.jpg

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...