Alternator Questions

Participant count
  • Participant list

Grimmjoww

CarAudio.com Veteran
I have a ho alternator currently installed, it's a 240a. When I first start the vehicle in the morning it will charge around 14.2 to 14.6v then slowing drop to 13.6 while driving. I know that when the batteries reach full charge the alternator is supposed to kick down like it's doing to prevent overcharging. My question is will it jump back up to 14.4 when I start hammering on the system and draining the batteries? I ask this because most amps are rated at 14.4v.

The alternator will kick up as the electrical demand increases but it doesn’t go to 14.4 bc your amp performs best at that voltage.
Not to say it won’t go there it’s just not dependent on ideal voltage to your amp.
I know there’s ones a person can set to whatever they want. Well within a prescribed area, meaning you could always run it at 14.4.
Having had electrical issues that I’ve overcome lately, I can tell you I did not notice a difference in my system’s performance at 13,14 or 15v.
If I’m not mistaken 14.4 is the standard voltage equipment is tested at. I believe the difference is negligible between 13.8 and 14.4.

The alternator will kick up as the electrical demand increases but it doesn’t go to 14.4 bc your amp performs best at that voltage.
Not to say it won’t go there it’s just not dependent on ideal voltage to your amp.
I know there’s ones a person can set to whatever they want. Well within a prescribed area, meaning you could always run it at 14.4.
Having had electrical issues that I’ve overcome lately, I can tell you I did not notice a difference in my system’s performance at 13,14 or 15v.
If I’m not mistaken 14.4 is the standard voltage equipment is tested at. I believe the difference is negligible between 13.8 and 14.4.
Right on, I didn't select the 14.8v reg option when I bought mine. It will keep the alternator at 14.8v all the time but I have read that can be hard on your batteries and damage them from overcharging. And at .5-1ohm there can be a large difference on amps from 2k up. I know my amp produces significantly more watts from 12.6 to 14.4

I can attest to the damage from continuous 14.5-15v. Fried batteries. Just a regular setup. Flooded batteries, 0ga 2k peak rms. I doubt all 2000 would happen at once but the 1600 to the subs is a reality.
Maybe I’m wrong on my outputs as I’ve never measured or dynoed them. More of a audible observation. Plus I’m at 2 ohm, so if it matters more at the lower impedance you mention then I have no idea.

I can attest to the damage from continuous 14.5-15v. Fried batteries. Just a regular setup. Flooded batteries, 0ga 2k peak rms. I doubt all 2000 would happen at once but the 1600 to the subs is a reality.
Maybe I’m wrong on my outputs as I’ve never measured or dynoed them. More of a audible observation. Plus I’m at 2 ohm, so if it matters more at the lower impedance you mention then I have no idea.
I believe I will just start banking my amps on 12.6 if available. My amp will produce 2000w rms clean at 1 ohm 12.6 but it will produce 2800w rms clean at 14.4. The bigger the amp the more the difference can be, so you see my conundrum lol.

Last edited:
Hot voltage is always lower than cold voltage. I'm at 15.8 in the mornings and 15.5 when the alt is warm. I know alot of Chrysler vehicles have temperature based voltage regulators.

Im just going to buy a new regulated alternator. The guys over at JS said their 14.8 regulated alternator they sell will run between 14.2 and 14.8 and wouldn't harm my AGM batteries. Mo PoWa!

Last edited:
I may be wrong but they may be able to set it at any range a person wants.
Maybe that’d be custom or more expensive.
Sounds like a good plan.

It sounds like your alternator is working fine...I'd run it buddy...
Yeah, I think so too, I was just making excuses to buy a new one 😂 #MoPoWa
I have a 240 but I'm thinking of stepping up to a 5k and just wanted to make sure my electrical wasn't lacking. I always try to feed good juice so the amp is never hurt because of my negligence.

Last edited:
Yeah, I think so too, I was just making excuses to buy a new one 😂 #MoPoWa
I have a 240 but I'm thinking of stepping up to a 5k and just wanted to make sure my electrical wasn't lacking. I always try to feed good juice so the amp is never hurt because of my negligence.
Nothing wrong with #MoPoWa 🤣

At least you're going about it the right way...seems like evrrytime I get asked about my system it's just about the amp and sub cost was...when I try explaining the electrical to support it...I get the "you're stupid" look or their eyes eyes glaze over 🤣🤣🤣

Nothing wrong with #MoPoWa 🤣

At least you're going about it the right way...seems like evrrytime I get asked about my system it's just about the amp and sub cost was...when I try explaining the electrical to support it...I get the "you're stupid" look or their eyes eyes glaze over 🤣🤣🤣
Same, only real bass heads or engineers understand you can't use power without making it. I went to the 240 alt when I did the winch and lights on the Jeep. Thought I would just do one 10 like last time and be modest but I couldn't help it lol.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...