Am i getting ripped off (2)? Fixing My Monoblock Amplifier

LaidD3athl0rd
10+ year member

Hi there,

Got my amp returned from the service and he told me it has around 20 blown sets.

I think he is referring to the transistors like the Mosfet types.

I have a Soundstream 2500D.1, i can upload pictures if need.

How can i test to see if they are blown? They look fine.

He quoted me $240 to repair it! .. sounds retarded!

Please help thank you //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

FETS are blown. Even assuming all of them aren't blown, anybody who knows what they're doing and cares about their work will replace ALL of them if they have to replace one since variations between "batches" of transistors can cause trouble if you mix and match. The vast majority of failed semiconductors won't be visibly burnt or anything. If you had the ability to test them yourself you wouldn't have sent it to a shop to begin with.

That amp is junk. You can throw 150$ worth of parts into it and 100$ worth of labor (seems about right for repairing an amp that size) and it'll still be a POS that doesn't make rated power and is unreliable. If you only have 250$ to spend try finding a used Sundown 1200.1 IA 10.1, or similar good quality 1200W amp. Hopefully you have learned an important lesson on buying electronics based on price per watt. The "savings" comes at the price of poor performance, premature failure, and low to no resale value.

I need something that will pump out close to 2500 watts though. a 1200 sundown wont be enough.

I am powering 3, T7 SoundStream 700 watt rms subs. Those subs are really good, regardless of the amp.

Also the amp is a solid $450 AUD.

I need something that will pump out close to 2500 watts though. a 1200 sundown wont be enough. I am powering 3, T7 SoundStream 700 watt rms subs. Those subs are really good, regardless of the amp.

Fsd audio

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I need something that will pump out close to 2500 watts though. a 1200 sundown wont be enough. I am powering 3, T7 SoundStream 700 watt rms subs. Those subs are really good, regardless of the amp.

Whats your budget?

2000-2500 watts at the cheapest will land you at vfl4480 or hifonics.

If better quality is needed then you will be in the 500+ usd range.

Sent from my draconis using Tapatalk

Those sound stream woofers are main stream and ok at best. Do u have stock electrical? Because of you buy a 2500watt amp and run it on stock electrical u will fry that amp too.

dragon sound dsa3500 I might get hate for posting up a 200 dollar eBay amp claiming 3500rms and half ohm stability, but I've had people tell me that my setup with that amp running half ohm on my 15" ZCON is on another level of loudness. you're not going to get an excellent 2500 amp for $250.. I've had that amp going for 6 months strong half ohm daily and it still sounds great

let me rephrase, you're not going to get 2500 clean watts with 250 dollars. but if you can stomach that then I'd say the dsa is a pretty great amp. and it does have a warning light for when it starts clipping and I had it tested with a dd clip meter earlier this week and the clip light is 100% functional

Yeah, Soundstream subs are junk too, but if you're outside the USA you have few good options and no cheap options. I mentioned the IA 10.1 or Sundown 1200.1 because if you had 250$ ish to spend you could get into one of those for around that price (in the states) and have a reliable amp that would hold some resale value. Soundstream "2500W" amps sell for under 240$ here in the USA.

No idea what you'll have to pay for something decent over there, but you can pay now or pay later.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.