Amp going into Protection mode help!!

Participant count
  • Participant list

DinSeadly
10+ year member

I currently have 2 12" Clarion subs hooked up to a Kaption amp. The guy i bought everything from said he had this system running perfectly like this for a year and a bit without any major problems. Im not entirely sure of the impedence on the subs but i know they are 350 watts RMS and the amp is a Class D stable 1 ohm 700 RMS (Kaption 700.1-D). I have had the subs hooked up profesionally and they were working perfectly until yesterday, i notice all of a sudden the bass just stopped. After some trouble shooting today I found that everything works perfectly with onlythe right sub hooked up but once the left one is hooked up, or when both are hooked up and the volume is turned to 20 the amp shuts down and goes into protection mode. Does this mean the left sub is blown? Any help would be appreciated!

Is there any way I can tell that the internal voice coil is shorted? Or can you only find out by eliminating the fact that the wiring is shorting? Also will it be safe to run only 1 sub off that amp until i have everything figured out or would that be dangerous for that sub?

K so I did a bunch more trouble shooting and i took the sub out of the box and everything. As far as I can see there are no shorts in the wiring or loose connections. Also i found out that the right sub(working one) sounds perfect hooked up to the amp all by itself however I did not turn the volume up much as I am worried about blowing it. The left sub(the one that puts the amp into protection mode) when hooked up alone does absolutely nothing, it does not move, it does not make a sound at all. I am assuming this is not a good thing. So now my questions are: is the left sub just completely screwed up and is it fixable? or is there something wrong somewhere else? and also again is it safe to run only one sub off the amp until I get a new one\find out whats wrong for sure or will this only cause me more problems in the end?

I would assume as long as you watch the gains on the amp,running one should not be a problem. And i would reccomend replacing the seized woofer...I don't think it will be cost effective to recone it (if that option is even available)

agreed, ditch the blown sub. if your box has a common chamber - you can't just run one. you have to remove the blown sub. most likely, the working sub was moving the cone on the blown sub and at a certain point the coil short manifested and the amp went into protect.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.