Amp Ground Wire Length

Participant count
  • Participant list

ctmaudi
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
Akron, OH
Currently grounding my amps directly to my rear battery. One wire is 4awg about 3ft long to an ONX1500 doing 400w @ 4ohm, and the other is 1/0 about 4ft long to an ONX4.80. I have a ~3ft 1/0 run from the battery to chassis ground, and cant really move the battery any where else.

I currently have my sub pushed up against the back seats, which doesnt sound nearly as good or loud as when its pushed back more towards the rear of the car.

Since they are grounding directly to the battery, would it be ok to have longer grounds, about 5-6ft long? I have to get new wire to do so, so both would/could be 1/0 if needed. Both have 4awg power wire.

Absolutely my mistake, deepest apologies to OP. Another member has posted 3 or more threads very similar to this. As long as you ground contact is good length is relative.

Last edited by a moderator:
As far as I know it you wanna keep your grounds short as possible.
I know that too, I just wasnt sure what would really be considered too long. I know some people dont even ground in the back, they just run one to the front battery. If there isnt any real problem with a 5-6ft ground wire, then it would make my sub stage a lot better being able to possition it correctly. For some reason when it is pushed against the rear seats (even with them folded down) it just sounds like crud and barely gets loud.

If length doesnt really matter, then I also wasnt sure if I could stick with 4awg to save some money since thats what the power wires are, or if I should go with 1/0 since they are longer wires. I kind of figured to go with 1/0 to be safe, but money is tight right now.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.