Amp/Head Unit Wiring/Add mids in front Dash Q?s

Participant count
  • Participant list

musgrove

CarAudio.com Newbie
I'm nearing the finish line in an installation that includes a new HU with FT/RT, FR/LT RR/RT RR/LT, and a SUB output, plus an unmarked, unidentified in the manual, RCA output on the back of the HU next to the SUB output.

I have a 5 channel amp that has Channels 1(white), 2(red), 3(white) and 4(red) marked clearly on the amp, plus a SUB RT(white) and SUB LFT(red) input, all input by RCA.
The same amp has 4 sets of output terminals, 1 each for + & -. It also has 2 terminals for the sub (+ & -), which connects to the sub on R &L posts.

So, first question:
How do I run a cable from the HU, which is 1 RCA connection, to the AMP, which has both LT and RT RCA input connections?(EDIT: This has been solved by use of a Y adapter - 2 males, 1 female, RCA)

Second question:
I also have the White, Grey, Green, Violet (+&-'s) hooked up from the HU to the wiring harness that goes to the speakers. The reason for this was that I have six speakers placements: 2 6.5" in the front doors, 2 6.5" in the rear doors. In the dash, I removed the tweeters that were in a plate and replaced them with Infinity Kappa20's midrange speakers that have bandpass crossovers that handle 550hz-7Mhz hooked up. I just noticed they are 2.5 ohm, and everything else is 4 ohm, which is worrisome.

Just to confuse things more, The manual for the amp shows The channel 1 speaker attached to the channel 2 output terminals(+&-) and the channel 2 speaker (+&-) attached to the channel 1 terminals. Channels 3 and 4 are where I expect them, 3 & 4. And then again for the SUB it has + and - terminals to go to + & - posts on the SUB.

I've routed every plug in every location and checked each speaker, one by one by changing the fader/balance in different combinations to determine what's going on.

What I sense I'm doing wrong is that I'm wiring RCA cables with both RT/LT wires into the AMP to the HU when both only want a single signal cable each going into each jack. One single wire each that somehow is carrying both the Positive and Negative in it, versus a double speaker wire that goes into a positive/negative RCA male connector.

So that leaves the sub with one single output HU going to the AMP which has a R(white) and L(red) female connector. And then the 5th channel +&- going to the +&- on the SUB input.

The reason I have the HU output speaker wires (white,grey,green,violet) going to the speakers is because of the Dash Unit speakers. They're tapped into those 4 in the wiring harness where I can't get to them, but run from the HU from 4 wires to 6 different speakers). Again, the dash speakers are 2" Infinity midranges with bandpass crossovers connected to each which came with them.

Is there a wiring genius out there that can understand what's going on and tell what I have wrong? There's also a whine coming from the front right dash speaker and possibly the right(passenger side) door speakers. I have the power cable far from the speaker wires on either sides of the vehicle. But I'm sure it has with the larger wiring issue at hand.

Any and all help is greatly appreciated. This is a crazy puzzle. Here's a diagram I made to make it more visual:

Last edited:
It would make it a lot easier if you could just list the equipment you want to install.
Amps, speakers, subs
Year make and model of car too

AS for your RCA question you just need a Y adapter at the amplifier
Run a single RCA cable from the HU to the amp and then use this to make it into 2
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07LB5CCTB/?tag=caraudiocom-20
(I am not saying buy that one in particular it's just a visual reference)

Sorry about that. The details of the vehicle and equipment are:

2001 GMC Jimmy 4x4

HU: Sony MEX-N5300BT
AMP: Planet Audio 5 channel AC1800.5
Door speakers: Alpine SPE- 6000
Dash Speakers: Infinity KAPPA20
Subwoofer: Alpine SWT-12S4

I've acquired a Y adapter and used it on the subwoofer cable issue. Makes perfect sense and I had one on hand. Thanks for that solution.

That just leaves the other 4/6 speaker puzzle and accompanying whine coming from the right speakers, which increases with vehicle acceleration.

Last edited:
OK- so here's how far I've come with this project:

I reset the ground wire to have a much better connection. That ended the whine I was hearing.

So now everything seems in order, yet the front driver's dash and driver's rear door speakers aren't emitting any sound. The ones on the other side, which I wired the very same way, are great. Hmmmm....

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.